1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Often Do You Maintenance Your Equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DSLND, Aug 10, 2006.

How Often Do You Maintenance Your Equipment?

1. Once A Month

7 vote(s)
  2. Twice A Month

6 vote(s)
  3. Once A Week

31 vote(s)
  4. Once A Year

2 vote(s)
  5. Other

5 vote(s)
  1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Well for the past couple years when i had only 3 weekly lawn mowing customers i only maintenanced my equipment once a year in the spring. But with this year starting over with a new name from the split partnership business took off. I have bought many pieces of equipment, have learned alot about money management, and have gotten lots of business without the bossy partner thinking hes the owner. With that said this year i got to thinking bc im doing triple the number of accounts i need to maintenance my equipment more often. I bought a bench grinder and now sharpen my blades every other week or twice a month. And i am experimenting with the full maintenance once a month, (Plugs, Filters, Oil, Blades, Grease etc.) and i did it for the month of august and really saw an improvement in my equipment's performance but i was wondering how often everyone else maintenances there equipment. Thanks! -Mitch-
  2. rustic

rustic LawnSite Member

We maintain our equipment on a daily, as needed basis. Blades get sharpened, deck scraped about every other day. Greased every 2 weeks. Air filter cleaned every week or so (some lawns are dusty). Broken stuff fixed immediately. Change oil twice per season... If we see something getting ready to give out, we'll order the replacement part and change it out when we have the time.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I change plugs once a year or when needed on 2 cycles. I grease mowers once a week, sharpen blades everyday,change oil and filters every 50 hours. Air filters when needed, 100 hours on John deere. Once a year on the Scag with the heavy duty filter system

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have a daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance routine...I own a lot of equipment and investment.
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Daily weekly and monthly, no real schedule as I only run two 60's and a 48".
  6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I only have 8 accounts, but I stiill maintain everything once a week.
  7. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

Keep your air filters clean, your oil changed at least every 50 hours of use, and clean under the decks. Sharpen the blades at least weekly and you should be okay. A maintenance meter or notebook to keep track of maintenance is also a good idea. If nothing else, check the oil every time you fill the gas tank. Treat your equipment right and it will take care of you.....Mike
  8. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

My truck is the most important thing i have(195k miles on it) I change the oil on my 35", 48" 1ce a month or if i feel it isn't running smoothly. Plugs 1ce a year. Blades when i feel vibration from the load i take them off. so 3 times a month.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

you have been quiet these days J
  10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Daily, weekly, monthly here, its the cheapest insurance I can get :)