1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How often do you mow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Matt'slawncare, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

This may sound like a stupid question but how often do you guys mow yards? But i have 8 yards now mostly commercial. And i would like to make my business bigger next year. But i would like to have the weekends off or at least Sunday. Do you mow on like a weekly basis or what? Thanks

2. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

It really depends on the weather. I did two seasons in West. Wisc. (95-96) (I grew up in La Crosse also)
    Lotta' snow and good spring rains and you can count on weekly at least. Some people here will tell you after 4-5 days it's ready to be cut again.
    I had all mine set up on a 7 day cycle and sometimes it was a stretch. BG can be a bear after 7 days when the rains are plentiful.
    Dry times can mean 10-14 days (or longer).
    Fertilizer and irrigation are other factors also. Some of my commercial that I had watered during some dry spells and the growth never fell off as where other properties that did not needed very little service other than shrubs,weeding,etc.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

7 day week, 7 day schedule. If they want it more or less often we can work it out. They gotta know that less often isn't always cheaper unless the grass just doesn't grow that much (if I gotta double cut I'm not gonna be chargin less).
  4. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Weekly during growing season.
  5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

In the summer I would cut every 2 weeks for the lawns that weren't irrigated and once a week for the ones that were. Now that the growing season is starting up again and the laeves will be falling soon, I will be cutting on a weekly schedule like usual again. Irriagted ones twice a week, and the others once a week.
    It's all about organization. If you're organized, you'll be fine doing 100 accounts a week per crew if you plan on having more than one crew.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

No weekends for me. I like to chill on the weekends. I have school and lawns during the week and I need a couple days off. If you're part-timing it, I'd say you could work on the weekends, but only if you have to. Try to get some time off.
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Now HERE'S a thread I haven't seen before. :eek: :sleeping:
  8. TheMom

TheMom LawnSite Member

Given our drought status, the answer is...

"Once a month, whether it needs it or not!" :D
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, it does seem to be something different.
  10. Double ditto

Ummm weekly