How often do you replace tires?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOW ED, Nov 7, 2003.

1. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I just dropped off my tires at the shop for replacement. I got a year and a half out of them. I am thinking ballpark 500 hours. I went from Walker 4 ply (Dico I think was MFGR) to a 2 ply that the tire dealer has in stock. BTW this will be the third set starting at 1027 hours.

I was out working yesterday and saw the tire was really low. Slow leak somewhere and most of the tread was worn. I can't afford downtime now so 65.00 will keep me moving. How long do you folks get out of a pair of skins?

2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I only got 2 years. And they were on a hydro wb. Carlisle 16x6.50x8 4 ply.

3. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

I got 7 seasons on a belt drive 48 with about 1000hrs on it.
    the Lazer is still new so don't know about it yet.

4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

getting close to 1000 hours on 24x12's on my turf tiger.

5. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i use them until they blow off.my exmark turf ranger has the original tires on it.the rear one looks almost new but the drive tires are bald

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

About 2 times a year for me, on my main mower

7. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

2 seasons so far on my 2 front foam-filled tires. (Toro 44in WB). I'll run them til they break in half!! Put on 2 new rear tires (Carlisle) this spring, and was looking at them today, and it looks like I should get another season out of them. They are filled with Slime. I haven't had a flat in over 2 years since I switched to foam-filled and slime-filled tires.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I got about 4 years out of my little Chopper and July was 4 years on my big one......I'm speaking rear tires. I have replaced the frt's on both mowers at least once.

Stay off the driveways and keep your help from doing donuts in the road.

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Definition of length of service for tire life needs to be in hours. Number of seasons or years won't do, can't tell if mower is used for 10 hours a week or 50.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Original tires on my Metro at 750+/- hours. I switched the Dixie tires at 600. The original tires were still like brand new. I switched them because I wanted to get rid of the ribbed tires in front and go to a 25" tire from a 22" tire in back.