How often do you sharpen blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by F.S Lawn Care, Apr 10, 2007.

1. F.S Lawn Care

F.S Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I hear from alot of guys that they sharpen daily, but it's such a hassle, does it really mak that much of a difference? This would be mowing around 12 third acre lots daily.

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i sharpen mine once, maybe twice a week.

3. scagtiger

scagtiger LawnSite Member
    from TN

1 time a week on the turf tiger.... every 2 weeks or so on the wb

4. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

every week seems about right

5. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Daily when mowing bahia for 10hrs. Especially in sandy conditions

6. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

everyday i have about 6 sets for each mower that way i only have to sharpen blades once a week.

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

In the spring once or twice a week. In the summer every other week.

8. DAV Mowers

DAV Mowers LawnSite Member

Same here.

He asked , does it really make that much of a difference?

Look at the top of the grass you mowed last week, if it's brown with ragged tips then it was cut with a dull blade. If it's green like the rest of the grass then it was a clean cut with a sharpe blade.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

OOooOoOo I sharpen my blades a LOT, even more now I got my RBG 1.5hp bad boy, it's to the point I actually can't wait to have enough dull ones so I can sit down and sharpen a dozen or two. Sharpened a dozen yesterday, if it took 15 minutes, man that thing is nice.

Oh yeah, I am HOT on blades, every day so long the machine cut at least 4 yards, I keep'm sharp on every mower and apply a thin coat of oil so they don't rust woohoo so then if I'm really not in the mood I just swap mowers at the end of the day, I try and always have a spare machine ready to roll.

Make a difference? I run over all kinds of crap, sticks and twigs and branches I don't stop for that, vroooom-vrooom and it chops them up and I don't care. If or whether it makes an actual difference on the cut? No, truthfully you can run blades for 20 cuts no problem, I've done it more than once. But, it helps my confidence level because YES the blades are sharp, always.

As for the pita factor, with one set of blades it did kinda suxor but it helped me build humility (I am telling you that is a problem this arrogance), so over the years I would buy a set of blades when I could afford one, I think by my 2nd year I had THREE sets (nine whole blades).

Because I found it is highly effective to sharpen a dozen or so blades at a time, then I am done for a bit and it is always better to repeat oneself in tasks such as this, it takes more time to sharpen one set every day than it takes to sharpen 3 at once every 3rd day, for example.

And so I kept going, every year I bought a few more sets (1 or 2, sometimes 3) new. That way, I don't have to sharpen the dull ones every evening now (but I did for a long time), I just swap them for sharp ones, prrrrap praaap with the air compressor it's like Nascar time lol (but that took years to get, too). Takes all of 2 minutes at the end of the day to swap dull for sharp, I got a back stock of like 30-some blades, there are almost always sharp ones ready to go.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

Maybe it's a cool season grass thing but I have no prob going a week between changes unless there is a hit.

Mostly rye and fescue.