1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How often do you sharpen you blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toro52, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Toro52

Toro52 LawnSite Member
    from PA

hi, How often do you sharpen you blades? I heard it was every 16 hrs. is this right. Also has anyone noticed a big diffrence between the normal blade and the blade form exmark with the teeth. any advantages or disadvantages
  2. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

After every lawn, we have a sharpener on the truck it really pays off...:cry:

No really, every 20 hours, or once a week, what ever comes first
  3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

once a week unless someone screws em up then we sharpen that nite !!
  4. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

Blades are changed every day... Quality of cut.....Give the customer what they are paying for.....
  5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Once a week. One rule we follow, is to have at least 3 sets of blades per machine. One set on the machine. One on the truck, as a just in case set. And a pair in the shop to be sharpened.:cool:
  6. G. Moose

G. Moose LawnSite Member

We sharpen our blades every week. keeps them from getting too dull and hard to recut a new edge. Helps eliminate stringers too.
  7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Each mower is serviced every morning including sharp blades. I also keep a spare set for each mower on the trailer just incase.

8. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

9. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

You can do this?

What is the benefit?

Doesn't it waste a lot of valuable time?

How do you get the sharpener under the mower?

I'm confused!!
  10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Wow you guys go a while, several guys here swap 'em out every day or two. We probably have more weeds to mow than most of you guys which helps explain that, because some of them are really almost impossible to cut, they just get knocked over unless your blades are razor sharp. You have to lower your height or double cut on one area of one of my lawns. It used to be a garden that they never seeded just let grow to weeds.