How often do you trim shrubs??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by michindi, Apr 12, 2004.

?

How many times a month

Poll closed Apr 17, 2004.
  1. 1

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. 2

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Whenever they need trimmed

33 vote(s)
    70.2%
  1. michindi

michindi LawnSite Member

How many times a month do you trim your customers shrubs?

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

All depends on the shrub, some required to be pruned about 4 times a year and others 1 time a year.

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

Is your poll for how many times a month or a year?

I'd say on average, twice a year, but it really depends on the types. I'd say customers ask to have them done mostly twice a year, about may-june and then september october.

4. michindi

michindi LawnSite Member

The poll is for how many times a month. You two say once or twice a year? WOW! Right now I am having to trim atleast once a month sometimes twice depending on the shrub.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

2 times per season

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I'm a little north of you in Citrus County and I trim 3 times per year. April, (after the Azaleas drop their blooms) July and October. Sometimes a 4th trimming is necessary if we get a lot of rain later in the year, but generally it's 3 times per year. If you are trimming as often as you say, then you need to back off on the fertilizer. Shrubs like Viburnum and Ligustrum don't need a lot of fertilizer. Holly and Ilex Schilling are slow growers and can use a bit more. Either way...once a month is too often for most shrubs.

7. trimmerhead

trimmerhead LawnSite Member

2-3 times per year

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

This is one of those questions that isn't very productive to answer in an open forum like this where we're all from different regions. Down in FL, you guys have to trim hedges and some shrubs almost monthly. In the rest of the country, that isn't so. Here, in OR we trim hedges 2-3 times per year and most plants and shrubs only once per year.

Your question would be better if it were addressed only to people in your area. Otherwise, you're going to get all sorts of different responses.

9. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Yea we trim every two to three weeks on commercial properties to keep them tidy some shrubs need more than others

10. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

You cant say "they all need to be trimmed once a month" or anything like that if there is a varatiey. especially boxwoods. I usually trim boxwoods 1 time a year.