how often do you use an edger?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by thesargent, Apr 11, 2006.

1. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

so how often do you edge lawns? once a season every mow? do you just edge where there is concrete then lawn or do you do all borders? for a small lawn care business would you recomend a walk behind or stick edger. is it hard to edge a nice straight line? please help. thanks. ohh how rude of me. im wayne and my wife and i are going to start a small lawn care business. we dont need full time work. we would like to work 3 days a week maybe four sometimes. do you think its possible to make 2k a month working part time? thanks for any help.

2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

Why dont you need full time work, u guys won the lottery and just passing time? I hear ya..........

3. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

we just dont need the money. we have zero debt and cheap rent. only need 1500 to live comfortably.

4. rslawnscapes

rslawnscapes LawnSite Member

I'm new also. I've done some research and stick edgers seem to be very popular.good luck.

5. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

2k a month is feasible, I would recomend a stick edger such as echo or stihl, They are more versatile, quicker, and take up less space. I usually edge at least every other week sometimes every week during the summer with a stick edger. Its not difficult after a few times of practice. I edge the concrete walks/drive/curbs as well as the beds.

Good luck with your business, you will find a lot of useful info on this site, spend as much time as you can using the search feature for any subject you can think of.

6. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Edge when it needs it. Usually every other week, but some may need it every visit. The stick edger is the way to go. Stihl, Echo or Shindaiwa. Good Luck!!!

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

we only edge about 2 accounts once a year. No call for it in this area:confused:

8. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

If you buy a stick edger you can edge every time, it is as fast as weedeating and the service will set you apart from the competition.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly. It also makes it easier to trim (if necessary). Most of our places get edged twice a month (every other week suffices).

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

included in the priceing structure, ...... i can edge as fast as i can walk....