How often do you use your ROPS???

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by kirkmbrown2001, Mar 6, 2011.

?

How often do you use your ROPS?

1. I ALWAYS use my ROPS!

26.4%
  2. I use them when I remember

9.1%
  3. I never use them!

40.0%
  4. I don't have ROPS

24.5%
  1. jay_mc1

jay_mc1 LawnSite Member

I use to think they were worthless until I had an employee almost drown. They definitely have their place. He was mowing along the bank of a lake that dropped off 2-3 feet which he had done 100 times before. the mower lost traction and he went over the bank at an angle and the zero turn rolled upside down. he had the ROPS folded down that day and his seat belt on and ended up getting pinned between a large rock and his seat with his head being under water. It took 4 guys to lift the mower enough to cut the seat belt to get him out. He did end up passing out but ended up with no broken bones and was OK. Our new rule is when mowing any slopes, the ROPS has to be up and seat belt on. If the ROPS is down, leave the seat belt off.

2. WenzelOSLLC

WenzelOSLLC LawnSite Senior Member

That's how it's supposed to be anyways. The seatbelt isn't designed for high speed deceleration, like for in a car for crashes, it's designed to keep you in your seat and inside the protective triangle formed with the ROPS. If it's folded down, it only means you'll probably get crushed when the machine rolls.

3. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

When we remove the ROPS on the zero turns, we remove the seat belts also.

4. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

I use it on inclines only. Almost needed it one day.

5. DieselHolic

DieselHolic LawnSite Senior Member

ours are gone. nothing that requires them in mi, and if there is a slope i mow when its dry and usually vertically

6. Tizzy

Tizzy LawnSite Senior Member

i only use it when mowing slopes.

7. doyles

doyles LawnSite Member

i remove them and if the slope is steep we use walk behinds

8. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

This is the smart thing. Whey would you want to mow anything that you roll or flip on. Use a walk behind!

9. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We use ours on one of our large commercial accounts that seems to be nothing but slopes. I have never rolled one but one of my guys has. I think they certainly have their place but for normal mowing applications we fold them down.

10. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Wow, guys. Really?

I wouldn't call a ROPS useless, and I certainly wouldn't say they're dangerous. Dangerous? A safety device is dangerous?

I can understand if you need more clearance for mowing around low branches or whathaveyou, most ROPS are designed with 3 position holes (one straight up, one at a 45 degree angle for protection but lowered clearance, and one completely flat.

We keep our ROPS in the 45 degree position 24/7. In the event of an accident, I need myself and my employees protected.

Safety is my #1 priority, period.

I would rather lose 20 minutes having to trim a little area extra that my mower couldn't reach due to the ROPS being up, instead of losing an employee, my ability to walk, or anything else due to not using safety equipment.

Sometimes I wish I could disable my Operator Presence System. Those damned mowers shut off all the time when I get out of the seat to pick up a piece of rubbish or when I put the brakes but still have the joysticks pulled in. It's so annoying, but I have to remember that they're there for my protection.