How often do you use your ROPS???

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by kirkmbrown2001, Mar 6, 2011.

How often do you use your ROPS?

1. I ALWAYS use my ROPS!

2. I use them when I remember

3. I never use them!

4. I don't have ROPS

1. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

finally another on here who feels EXACTLY the same way I do about safety.

no amount of money can put safety in second place.

if they weren't needed they wouldn't be there.
  2. GoldStarMowing

GoldStarMowing LawnSite Member

I always leave them up unless I have to go under some low hanging trees.

I'd feel pretty stupid if (god forbid) the tractor rolled over on me and I was hurt because I didn't take two seconds to put the ROPS up.
  3. Bears Lawn Service

Bears Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Never I never wear a seat belt either
  4. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

ROPS are a pain in the you know what but they are there for a reason. In my time I have mowed hills that I should not be on without rops or anything. I believe that if you are mowing mostly flat ground like I do then it is not necessary and can be removed but if you are mowing hills then use both... I mow a contract that is 300 acres of the hillest scariest mowing in Kansas City I use the rops then and that is it period.

5. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

6. PR Fect

You don't really believe that? Many so called safety items can cause accidents.
  7. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

um yes I do.

I leave all and any safety devices on equipment and use all and any safety devices.

guards stay on all equipment. ROPS is used on every property including seat belt. discharge chutes are always lowered if bagger or mulch kit is not present.
  8. PR Fect

Well then I'm happy for you. There are plenty of unnecessary safety items out there, so that you can feel protected. But for me I will be wary of some. One of the main reasons for most safety devices is show that lawyers and insurance companies can so intent. If they tryed to prevent a problem, it is less likey they will be sued by some dummy that can't think for themselves. So they make many things to prevent people from themselves. Here in Wisconsin we drive on frozen lakes. And a small child died because they where "buckeled in" when their dads truck fell threw the ice. I have also heared of elderly people drown when they could not remove their seat belt when their car goes into a river. Ever see a guy get a bee in his "Safety Helmet" when going down the highway. I did help one out of the ditch after it happened to him. How about the dead guy who did not see the car wile riding his motorcycle because of the glare from his helmets face shield. Our the kid who's neck was broke because of a cars air bag. I will think fro my self. To bad I do not always have the choice.