1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How often do you......

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ubirajara83, Feb 9, 2007.

1. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

How often do you guys sharpen your mower blades? What can happen when you dont do it often?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We sharpen them daily,you can't cut with dull blades no way try to chew your food with no teeth.
  3. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

how do you sharpen them.
  4. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

Same here, daily for us too, We have enough sets blades in our shop for each machine to where we can just throw another set on and switch them out, then the dull ones are sharpened and put back up with the other sets. Saves time. This is done in the morning when all the mowers and equipment are checked over before we start the day. It doesnt take long when you get a system going. Poor blades make your mower consume more fuel, they are less efficent, besides the poor quality of cut. It makes the motor work harder and leaves a taring cut on the grass. Think of it like shaving with a dull razor, doesnt work to well, hell it hurts sometimes cause instead of cutting it rips. Same way the mowerblades work.
  5. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I do it weekly, but I am only cutting about 1.5 days/wk. If you don't do it often, it is bad for the grass as it just tears it vs. cutting it.
  6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

We sharpen our blades weekly

I have two magna~matics,and a lesco,but a handheld grinder will get you going.

We cut some properties with field grass this stuff is like cutting wire it will push your mowers hard,it would give a spyderco a workout.
  9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

In the spring I find myself shaprning twice a week, and in the summer I sharpen once a week.
    I use a bench grinder.
    If you cut with dull blades, you will see it next week when all the tips of the grass are brown from being torn not cut
  10. Steve's Mow & Trim

Steve's Mow & Trim LawnSite Member

get a bench grinder.....I mow 40-50 accounts a week and sharpen blades every other day. Be careful how you sharpen though or you will go through blades like a motha