How often does everyone change blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hartmas, Apr 28, 2006.

1. hartmas

hartmas LawnSite Member

I change my blades every 7 days on my ZTR and every 10 days on my walkbehind. I have 60 accounts.

2. SEKscag

SEKscag LawnSite Member

Every 3-4 days tops on all equipment... 34 accounts...

3. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

do you mean change or sharpen? i have 2 sets and i'll change them whenever they feel dull. sometimes 2 weeks, sometimes longer or shorter..

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You mean you guys put a brand-new set of blades on a mower every few dozen yards?
    omg...

If all I had was 1 set, it would easily last a whole season if not two.
    I get 1000 yards out of a set or thereabouts.

Technically speaking, I change my blades daily but by changing what I mean is the dull ones come off and sharp ones go on, not throwing away old for new here.

5. Duck Dodger

Duck Dodger LawnSite Senior Member

We change every other day. Probably don't need too that much but I just moved from southern ga and the sand would make you change blades at least once a day. It would also cut through my walker's blower housing about every 600 hours, just cause the folks in the tropics get to cut more doesn't mean they make more money that sand will tear down equipment quickly.

6. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpen my blades every other day depending on the conditions Im mowing in. Sometimes its every night.

I pick up a new set of blades for each mower once a season.

7. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

We do a 140 unit condo complex that we change blades in the middle of the day. Glad I found a battery operated impact for cheap!

8. SEKscag

SEKscag LawnSite Member

I have a spare set for all mowers that is always sharpened and ready to go on. Actually I have 3 sets for each mower. Sharpen all blades twice or so a month, sometimes more depending on grass. You could very easily get by with just one set. But there are times when it is easier time wise to just jack the mower up and swap out the blades for a set off the shelf.

9. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Every 8 hours of use, take them off and sharpen. Replace whenever they wear out (rarely) or whenever somebody nails a rock and bends one (usually).

10. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

change them every week...15 acounts but i have to make sure they are sharp that is just me!