How often, honestly....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mwilson3, Oct 20, 2009.

1. mwilson3

mwilson3 LawnSite Member

Do you clean/hose out your deck? I just got my 1st ZT and the manual says after every use? Toro titan 54. I am a newbie and don't want to mess up my ZT but everyday? I cut 7 lawns a day.
    Mike

2. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

I just scrape it off every time I change the blades out
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Nah, you don't have to by any means, unless you are cutting wet thick grass. We clean our mowers about once every few weeks during normal conditions. In the spring when it's raining, once every other day or so. Just keep your blades sharp and balanced.

Edit: When I sharpen the blades I clean out also, as fastcat said.

4. B&A lawn care

B&A lawn care LawnSite Member

As the others said, depends on the weather but never after every use. Thick buildup can alter the cutting quality and effects the discharge pattern. The only time we spend lots of effort on deck cleaning is at the end of the season for rust prevention. Back when the mowers were "dad's mowers" and not MY mowers I would pull over a graveled drive set the deck down and let her rip a while,,, the deck vacuam sucking up the pebbles was like red neck sand blasting:hammerhead:, LOL.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Dude it ain't that bad I hit it with the blower at the end of the week, more if its wet grass. I keep the spindle covers off so I can clean out the deck faster.

6. mwilson3

mwilson3 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, like the redneck sandblast deal... trying to stay creative!

Mike

7. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I have never done it but it seems a good way to dull and damage your blades, while increasing the likely hood that your going to eject something from your deck and damage something or injure some one or both.

8. B&A lawn care

B&A lawn care LawnSite Member

sigh,,,,
    type,, erase
    sigh,,,,
    type,,

B&A humor is now turned off, sry.

9. lawnjocky

lawnjocky LawnSite Member

It's a lot easier to clean fresh grass daily that to let it dry and turn hard as a rock.

10. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Only when its obvious that its clogged...or the winter...which ever comes first.