1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How often, honestly....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mwilson3, Oct 20, 2009.

1. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Sorry sarcasm doesnt translate well over the internet. Sad part is I wouldnt put it past someone to seriously suggest that.

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Id say clean only when needed like if clogged with wet grass. Be very careful with not getting water in the spindles. Never hose directly on the spindles, especially when there hot.
    I would go as far as saying dont hose the deck at all, just scrape and blow. You have an air compressor dont you? I couldnt live without it!

3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto on that !!

4. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got one mower (an older 36" wb) that never needs to be cleaned out. As in, ever. The Exmark, however - probably every single day in wet weather, sometimes more.
    If the ground is dry, I can usually get away with leaving it for a week.

5. lifetree

What brand and model number is it ... do you have pictures ??

6. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

It's an MTD-Pro (from around 2002ish) belt-drive. I run regular high-lifts with it, and have never really had to clean it, though I've scraped a few little grass bumps off several times when sharpening the blades. Running side-discharge, it just seems to shed the clippings.

As far as pictures go, you can find them here:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=272379

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

whenenver i change the blades or if it starts building up.....most often when i have time for it

8. demhustler

demhustler LawnSite Bronze Member

good habit - to blow mower off at the end of the day;
    in properties, where you want extra good cut - before mowing, clean the deck real quick (trailer gate ramp, bump/ditch - convenient position with good access under deck); - if you do it often - it won't be much

9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

My 36" is the same way..Husky

10. lifetree

Well then, good for you ... thanks for the link to th epictures !!