How Often Is The Oil& Filter To Be Changed

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SPENCER HUNTER, Oct 4, 2007.

1. SPENCER HUNTER

SPENCER HUNTER LawnSite Member

I HAVE A HUSTLER 07 19 HP KAW,, HOW OFTEN DOES YOU OIL NEED TO CHANGED? SOME SAY EVERY 40 HR'S BUT OTHER'S SAY EVERY 100 HR'S OR 200 HR'S,,,WHICH IS IT ?:confused:

2. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

100 hrs-oil change
    200-oil and filter change
    per Kawasaki service manual

3. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

we change oil every 30-50 hours. I bought a mower from a guy that had let it go about 150 hours between oil changes and I had to tear down the whole engine and rebuild it.

4. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

I know thats what the manual says, but thats nuts under hard conditions if you ask me.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to have to agree, Even automotive oil change intervals are way too high in my opinion, Having been in that business also.

I work for a dealership/contractor equipment rental store, ALL rental equipment gets oil changed every 50 hours.

In my 16 year tenor with this company I have never had to go inside the engine of any piece of our rental equipment.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I change mine when it looks like it needs it, I don't have the pics handy but for most of the machines once / season is enough, I check it maybe once / month or if the engine gets to ticking but I do run synthetic. Everything has an ON and an OFF season, the machines get the oil changed right before the ON season starts then I run them however long the window stays open, once the window shuts I put the machine up until next year. For most of my regulars this works out great, less cost and labor in maintenance, there's no sense in running machines during the OFF season so you want to call me during the ON season otherwise I charge extra (such as for leaves in spring) to compensate for having an out-of-maintenance machine running, but with synthetic I always run them with 100% confidence.

As a rule the only thing I do every day or throughout the year is grease zerks, swap blades, and change pre-cleaners.
    Oh yeah, don't forget to put gas in it :laugh:

Among other things, the maintenance includes changing the double platinum spark plug (except the truck, that goes 40k miles on one set), the air and the fuel filter, all the bushings (such as front casters and velke), and some of those grommets and pins and clips that like to break during the year, they get changed now once / year and almost never a problem... Takes me about a day to do one machine, I go over the entire thing and whatever needs fixing gets it now so then I hardly ever bust a sweat the entire rest of the season about it.

That took time, I would recommend watching what breaks on yours, what the little knick knack is that is constantly aggravating you in the field, see about putting THAT part on a once / year thing, other than those 50 dollar belts I tell you this saves me a lot of headache.

7. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

topsites, if you letting your oil go to the point your engine is ticking, lol thats too long

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well I like to say that's your final warning, heed it or else :laugh:
    But synthetic only, I wouldn't dare with conventional.