How often is too often?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by watatrp, Jul 5, 2001.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Great Dane Super Surfer. One of the idler pulleys seems to have a problem. The machine is a year old. Has 333 hours on it. I'm on the the third pulley. I think it's a design problem. The pulley seems to get really hot when in use. It's just burning up the bearings. Gets too hot to touch after running for only a minute. I've checked the alignment and that seems to be fine. I've used original replacements and one Scag pulley. Makes little difference. There is another almost identical pulley on the other side that has a spring tensioner on it that seems to run fine. This problem gets really expensive when the pulley goes and takes the belt with it. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions? I've found that Great Dane is just about useless when it comes to design problems. Took both drive wheels falling off my machine for them to finally admit that the bolts weren't strong enough.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

A lot of times when you have bearing failure in this situation, you have a belt to tight. Is this possible? 3 bearings in 333 hours isn't a good track record at all. I think I would be on the phone to the Mfg for answers.
  3. watatrp

I'm pretty sure that there is no adjustment for the tension. The other pulley is spring loaded and provides the automatic tension.
  4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

What does he say? Shouldn't you get a warranty on on your replacements parts?

Either way, I'd speak up. The Super Surfer is the most problem-riddled machine Dane has ever manufactured.
  5. watatrp

My dealer quit selling Danes after all the problems they had with mine. My first two pulleys were covered under warranty. Now I'm out of warranty. Do you have a Super Surfer? I really like mine when it's working. I'd like to be able to contact someone at the plant that can relate to my problems. I email the address on Great Dane's website and they just forward it on to my dealer that doesn't sell them anymore. I hope that John Deere is listening.
  6. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I have an idea that may be helpful... Or not...

Ask your dealer for the name and phone number of the sales rep for Great Dane in your area. SOMETIMES they are very helpful and can get things done behind the scenes to keep the customer happy.

Another thought...

Not having a Great Dane but being able to visualize the situation... Is it possible the shaft the pulley rides on is out of whack? Just an idea.

Good Luck...
  7. sedona

sedona LawnSite Member

Had same problem recently with my regular surfer. It is is three years old and the pully did not break until this past may, but after one month the replaced one already broke.
  8. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Unless it is a specialized application, you should be able to get a generic pulley for it. Just take your old pulley to any outdoor power equipment/tractor dealer and they should be able to get you one.
  9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Are you guys washing your machines off with water?? The Walker dealer I bought from told me it was OK to wash my machine off as long as the engin was not hot. I had a BIG nightmare.Water got into the bearings and siezed it up causeing the belt to burn.After the third time I said the hell with washing and had no more trouble..

10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Im not too great mechanically, but you should be able to adjust the belt with the spring on the other pulley. The spring tentioner should be connected to the deck with a 9/16bolt going through the spring, and the nut going through the deck. Thats how mine is anyway.