How often should change oil and sharpen blades?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FiremanDud, Nov 11, 2005.

1. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

I just started out about a month and half ago and do 6 accounts a week. My mower has a mulching kit on it. I have 11 hrs on the mower, so when should I change the oil and sharpen the blades? Thanks.

2. shovelhead

shovelhead LawnSite Member
    from 10EC

you may as well go else where for your info because these guys here are pretty much loosers. change the oil when you want too just dont go to long. about 20-25 hours of cut time change the oil, you cant do it to much to often. if the mower is new change it at 10 hours then go 20-25.
    as far as the blades go just watch out where you run the mower and if you dont run over a bunch of crap you can go about 100 hrs.
    good luck

3. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i change my blades every day and change oil every 40 hours .

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

if thats a new machine, change the oil now. 30 to 40 hrs thereafter.
    I have several sets of blades, so I change them out daily and sharpen in groups of 3 or 4 sets when time allows.

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Who pissed in your cheerios??

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Like Stumper said, change oil 30 to 40 hrs if it's a new mower. Then I would 50-60 hrs. when it comes to blades and only doing 6 lawns I would say sharpen once a week.:)

7. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

:D Yeah, I didn't think we were all THAT bad:D

8. FiremanDud

FiremanDud LawnSite Member

It's a Gravley 34Z, what do you guys use to sharpen with?

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

that is what I wondering as well

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I sharpen my blades every 4 yards or every day, whichever comes last:
    - Once I have cut at LEAST 4 yards, they get sharpened but never do I let it go longer than a full day if I cut more than 4, then I sharpen them.

Far as oil, I've been running motors for 20-some years and I've learned over time how to determine from the color of the oil whether it needs changing, or not. For everyone else, I recommend going with the manufacturer's recommendations, for myself I run TWO mowers and run them interchangeably so NO mower ever runs with dirty oil (it doesn't turn black, ever... Not even dark brown), I run at least a synthetic blend (mostly synth.blend but sometimes pure synth.) AND I change the oil in my motors once/year but you have to know what you are doing AND *I* am responsible if the motor blows.