1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

how often should i replace oil on 21''push

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cpt87gn, Sep 15, 2009.

1. cpt87gn

cpt87gn LawnSite Member

often do you replace your oil on your mowers and what brand oil do you use
    thank you

2. Smithco Lawncare

Smithco Lawncare LawnSite Member

every so often

3. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

My 21" and even 32" get used very rarely, so I just do the oil once a year (well, they are both a few months old and I just now did the break in oil change, and will do it every spring starting next year). I usually use Valvoline conventional 10w30. Trucks get Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 or Amsoil 0 30 synthetic.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My 21" gets used less than an hour every week so I change it a couple of times a year. It has a Honda engine on it so I use the same 10w30 I put in everything else.

If you're serious about properly mantaining the engine just put an hour meter on it. There would be no questions then. Just follow the manual.

5. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're using it 8 hours a day 5 days a week, I'd say change it once a week. If my arithmetic is correct, that comes out to every 30-40 hours. :D

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Once per week, or every 10 days at the most. Honda GCV engine that gets run hard nearly every day. Rotella 10W-30 oil.

7. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's ok -- nothing wrong with that. :)