How often should i sharpen my blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by smarino21, Mar 17, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

after how many hours do you sharpen your blades, i got a scag tiger cub 19 kaw and i seem to have prob. I just bought a good grinder with the angle an wheel. I dont know how long to change them. i was trying all diff blades and **** and i dont know what ones are best. I think i might just use all standard blades no high lift, gator bs. I would like an estimate of how many hours you guys change the blades though? I side discharge the grass and bag a few wit a side catcher.
  2. Big Salmon

Big Salmon LawnSite Member

I sharpen my blades every morning before the crew comes in for work. My blades have to be sharp or it bothers the heck out of me. Sometimes, i will sharpen in the middle of the day if the grass is long/sticks and crap like that. If your mowing to make money, you must sharpen at least once every 2 days. As for blades, i would just stick with high lift...nothing special
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I sharpen my blades everyday that I cut a full about every 8-12 hours.

GEO :)

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

every 8 hours here also. there is a major difference in dull blades.
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Once a week the shop sharpens two sets of blades for each mower,for each mowing day.A fresh set goes on each mower in morning when the mowers go out,with a second set sent along for a change mid-day, during heavy growth periods .
  6. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Every day, sometimes twice.
  7. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^ yeh me too . i have like 3 sets per mower on the truck .
  8. J&L-lawncare

J&L-lawncare LawnSite Member

I try to sharpen them @ the end of the day so I'm good to go in the am.
  9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I use two sets of blades a day, I sharpen everynight. If I were you I would go and get a couple of sets of blades and have them sharpened thats what I did so I can get by a day or so not having to sharpen blades.
  10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually do good with 10 - 15 hours between sharpenings on St. Augustine and Bermuda. 10 hours seems to be more like it when I mow alot of pine cones and sticks or mulching in the fall.