How often should you update your mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Madcape, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Madcape

Madcape LawnSite Member
    from orlando

I have a 04 dc 60inflatlander with a 27Kohler it has 1400hrs. It has been a great mower for the last 4.5 years with no problems, but I dont want to start having problems either. So I recently been thinking of getting a new mower since I should still get a good amout for mine now. I am looking at a Dc extreme with 28 kohler efi or the Huslter z with same engine. Any thoughts or comments would be apprecitated

2. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

i use a 98 50" DC classic, these mowers just dont break.

I did find a small oil drip a while back, nothing serious

At this point, i have thought many times about selling the mower but keep coming back to one thought, it makes alot more in a year than i can sell it for, all i do is change the oil and keep the blades sharp, and it holds up its end of the bargain.

3. Madcape

Madcape LawnSite Member
    from orlando

Point taken! thanks

4. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

Until the wheels fall off, then put them back on and keep mowing. Common sense would be to take it out of the fleet when your putting more money in it than its worth.

5. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Silver Member

The BEST time to trade a mower is when it no longer serves its purpose. If you need something bigger or smaller, or if you find something that will save TIME. We use to mow a lot of properties with a Toro Hydro walkbehind (20hp 52" w/ a velky). I tried out a Great Dane Origional Surfer(52" 22hp) We cut our mowing time down by 30%. so I bought two. The Toro sat in the shed for 10 years. The two Surfers now have new 27hp Kohler engines after 10 years. I'd like a couple of new Standers, but I'm not spending the money unless I need to. Shiney is nice, but a few hours after shiney....its dirty again.

6. Genlandscape

Genlandscape LawnSite Member

I agree if it costs more to maintain than it makes, it's a no brainer. If it still cuts well, and isn't costing you a fortune to keep up, than mow more grass!!

7. BUMBLE BEE

BUMBLE BEE LawnSite Member

Buy A New One. I Buy A Big Item Every Year Its A Great Tax Rite Off. I Bought A 08 Honda For man Last Year Great Fun And A Rite off

8. Madcape

Madcape LawnSite Member
    from orlando

I dont have a tax rite off for this year so that is one of the reasons behind getting a new mower. Plus less down time for wear and tear items after 1400 hours.

9. Madcape

Madcape LawnSite Member
    from orlando

I understand the idea of as long as it makes more then it costs but if what will it be worth in another 2-3 years from now or worse will the hydros or engine go by then. I will be stuck with a $600 hydro repair or worst $2600 engine.

10. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Use common sense. most people think they have to buy something to get the so called write off. If you need to write off something, why don't you donate to your chuch, habitat or some other non profit.
    I have a mower that has been in the fleet for 7 yrs now and I will keep it there until it cost me more to fix than replace. EVERYTIME that mower starts or any of my mowers, they are making me money and thats what I'm in business to do.

James