1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How often to clean muffler?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Pecker, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Regarding yer 2-cycles, do you guys clean them after so many hours as regular maintenance or do you just wait for the engine to not run right? Thanks.
  2. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I go through all my 2 cycle equipment over the winter. I do it now when I have the time!. With my luck, if I were to wait for the engine to not run right, it would be when I have the least time to fix it.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Most of mine never need to be touched anymore. I run Opti-2 now and it doesn't need to be cleaned and no smoke.
  4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there much more to it than removing the muffler, blowing with compressed air or scraping it out, and cleaning out the exhaust port? Should I use any kind of solvent on the muffler parts? Thanks again.
  5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I change my screens every year shoot some carb cleaner in them.

good to go
  6. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

We take screens out , and clean out muffler as needed

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with BW. Those screens belong in the trash can, and if you can cut the muffler apart and remove a few baffles they will get more power as well...
  8. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

yep, never tried removin baffles though
  9. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never done this. I run all Stihl, and all Stihl oil in them. My oldest machine, a Stihl 028 chainsaw, is beginning to run a little rough. I bought it in '85. How do I check to see if it needs cleaning?
  10. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Crawdad, take the muffler off Then you can see the exhaust port if there is any carbon build up in there. (Screens on trimmers go in trash before I even start them.)I have never had a problem with any of my saws clogging up, not sure I would want to remove them anyway to much risk of fire with them removed from a saw cutting near lots of dry leaves and wood.) I have 4 an old poulan, 2 husqvarnas a 130 and a 371xp, and a Stihl 017. I only have the troubles with my trimmers. The ones I use now are shindaiwas a t230 and a t270. The screens on both of them were clogged up within a week of use when I bought them. As far as how frequently they need cleaning, mine is about every 3 months of use. I just scrape the carbon out of the exhaust port then they run as good as new. Best trimmers you can buy. The frequency you have to clean them is mostly with the oil to gas mix you use most say to mix 50:1. I run closer to 40:1 in all my equipment. That makes it clog quicker but makes me feel better about engine life. (In my opinion.) Great thread though, Keep them clean and they will run much better with lots more power.