How often to grease?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carcrz, Jun 8, 2006.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

In the past I have just greased when I had extra time, but it was a rare occassion when any of the zerts actually needed any grease. The only zerts that even took any grease were on the blades, the wheels yokes, & on the caster yokes. How often do you guys grease your machines? Also, I counted something like 40 zerts. Is this normal?

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I grease mine per Grasshopper specs. 40 zerks!? you have to be kidding!

3. coyotekid

coyotekid LawnSite Member

My mowers have 0 "zerts," but they do have several zerks each. :)

My being a smartass aside, I treat my mowers as I do any heavy equipment--every 10 hours all grease fittings are checked and greased if needed.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's 14 zerks thou I always say a good dozen LOL...
    Regular grease:
    One each on the front forks and one each on the casters: +4
    One each on the rear tires and one each on the belt-arm pivot (not sure of name but): +4
    One on the hitch, one on the rear of the trailing arm pivot, one up inside on the velke wheel: +3
    Total: 11 regular grease fittings.

Synthetic grease:
    Two coupler fittings either side of transmission: +2
    On the 2005 model, one underneath the deck: (+1) OR
    On the 1998, two underneath the deck: (+2)

My spindle bearings are sealed.

As for how often, I can not track by the hour as there exists no hour meter, I use yards cut as a measure instead.
    As a rule, about every 8 yards or daily, but the synth ones about every 3-4 days or twice a week.

p.s.: Oh yeah, 14 not 40 :)

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

No, I'm serious. I think we counted something like 37 ZERKS. I thought it was a bit ridiculous as well.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I lube my mowers once a week, grease is cheaper and easier to replace than metal parts. What kind of mower do you have that has 40 zerks? Another good point about keeping a machine lubed, it helps to push any dirt or water out that may find its way in

wayne

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

We grease every 3-5 days. When it's really raining like last yr ( 94" then we greased daily) My question is which is better Sealed on Non-Sealed?????

8. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

front castor wheels and belt arms tensioners or whatever you call them and belt pulleys for the belt drive daily, all the rest weekly.

this is what my owners manual said to do.

9. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

The mowers get greased every 8-10 hrs...when blades are sharpened.
    Loaders ...first thing in the morning before you start the job.

10. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i do like metro does- spindles and castors daily. my 93 toro wb still has the original spindle! must be doing something right