1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how often to mow?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MIlawncareservice, Feb 28, 2009.

1. MIlawncareservice

MIlawncareservice LawnSite Member

I am in process of getting ready to start submitting proposals and in the estimates what is the best way to write in how often I mow their grass?

so far I this for #1 of estimate,
    1;) lawn is to be mowed everytime it reaches a height of at least 6"

Also, how often show I really be mowing?? Is 6" to tall? I am going by a book I read that said not to cut more than 1/3 off at a time and cutting 6" to 4" "sounded" good to me but I am clueless!

basicly whats the normal height for commercial grass to be mowed? kind of like how we all plow 2" here in Michigan for commercial lots.

2. lawnfreak09

lawnfreak09 LawnSite Member

Well every account will be different but i usually keep things around 4.5" or try to until august anyway lol
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

You got it all wrong...

It's not like a 2" trigger in snow...If it was..you would have no scheduling..it would be chaotic.

You mow on a schedule...weekly, bi-monthly (everyother week), and sometimes on 10 day or monthly intervals... In my area, we base our maintenance season off of around 26-28 cuttings...

Sometimes I will skip a weekly account because of lack of growth...but not many times..and last year was a drought.

Most of the grass I mow gets mowed down to 3 to 3.5 inches..of course there are some grass conditions that call for 2.5 inches around here.

It's going to take longer to mow grass in the spring when it's growing like crazy...but the price will all average out...cause in the dead of the summer your barely cutting squat off faster then hell burns itself.
  4. dwight1moore

dwight1moore LawnSite Member

i try to keep grass around 4inches unless its the drought season like btwn late july through august. during that time you have to watch what your doing or all the grass will be brown. buts thats just my area im sure it varies from place to place.
  5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

With grass, keep it on a schedule. I would push the weekly or bi-monthly mowing, don't be pushing the every 10 day thing though, it is too much of a pain. Now there are some exceptions with mowing like if your in a drought and the grass isn't growing much, then you may skip a week. But keep it on schedule and when writing it in your estimates just say the grass will be mowed every week or every other week.
  6. turf&snow98

turf&snow98 LawnSite Member

In PA i mow about every 5 days in the spring, every 7 on avg temp months, makes it easy to schedule, when it is burnt in the summer i skip a week or 2, depends what they look like. It avg's out in the end.
  7. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

its an absolute nightmare to vary from a weekly or every other week schedual. in some case lawns do need to be done bi-week (which means twice in one week even though most on here think it means every 2 weeks). if you get into the 10 day cycle it falls on weekends and is difficult to schedual. also, when you get booked the days are full and then your 10 lawns get dumped in with them. try not to do that if possible
  8. LawnMan883

LawnMan883 LawnSite Member

Here i just cut every 7 days. If there is nothing to cut i do other stuff like weeding or care of bushes. my customers like knowing which day iw ill arrive and its easy to schedule. When the grass grows faster in the spring i usually just collect the clippings so the lawn looks great no matter what. I Also include the weekly fall leaf vaccuuming too and price accordingly. it seems to work best for me. Do what works best for you and you will get the hang of it. I started off with just a monthly price and then only servicing when it needed it but it tended to upset customers when they only saw me 1-2 times a month in the dry season.
  9. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

First off we do not cut grass, you contract with us for service visits, if the turf needs mowing, then we mow. We have a 7 step service visit that dictates the work to be performed. We show up based on the level of service the customer requests and has signed a service agreement with us. Weekly, every 10 days, or twice monthly. This way we get paid based on the visit, not the mowing.

Attached is our service vist document, hope this helps

Attached Files:

10. jeepwrite

jeepwrite LawnSite Member

The term bi-weekly means every other week, or every two weeks. Bi-monthly, bi-yearly... every two months, every other year... The Latin word bi translates into two.

The term semi-weekly means twice a week. Semi-annually means twice a year. The Latin word semi translates into half.