How Often to Sharpen Blades

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Jan 22, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if you sharpen your blades on a regular schedule or only when they need sharpening. Which method it easier? I can't imagine having a lawn halfway done and having to stop to swap out for sharp blades.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I sharpen blades every morning with the right equipment it's not that big of a deal.

3. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

Every 8 hours of mowing which to us means about every morning, sometimes a day and a half, would never stop what we're doing to change blades though.

4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I usually do it @ the end of the mowing day.

5. echeandia

Do you use one of those drill bit sharpeners with the nylon guide?

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 4 blade sharpeners,2 magna matics 1 lesco and a bench grinder rigged up,in the morning i use a jungle jack to pick up the mowers and i take a cordless impact to pull the blades off,then i go to putting the edge on it don't take muck time the pitch is good on the blades,when i started out i did use what you are saying.

7. echeandia

thanks for the info

8. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Every 8 hours of use is when I change them, if your mower doesn't have an hour meter on it get on installed it makes it easier on timing the maintenance

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We change them every other day or every third day. It's a waste of time to change them once a day in this area.

10. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

What cordless impact are you using? I've been using my buddies dewalt; but it is expensive!:usflag: