1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How often to sharpen mower blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEWGUYRI, Jul 8, 2009.

NEWGUYRI LawnSite Senior Member

Also, should I sharpen them more in very consistent rainy weather, I heard it wears the blades more?
  2. clean_cut

clean_cut LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just wondering the same thing, I guess it depends on the useage.
  3. does blades stay sharper longer in hot or cold weather.
  4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

FWIW I use mine for 3 full days between sharpenings. I have 3 sets that I switch between so I sharpen all of them at the same time every few weeks since I only mow 3 days a week.
  5. JDiepstra

I imagine you are being sarcastic but for those who are really wondering......

I find they dull faster when the grass is thick and long. Obvious? :laugh:

Oh, and rocks can really take a chunk out too!
  6. clean_cut

You sharpen/change your blades every 3 days, wow, isi really necessary? I thought it would be like every few weeks, but then again with heavy use (8 hours a day) I guess it would be diffrent?
  7. JDiepstra

I don't know if it is necessary but I feel I get a better cut. I can mow a bit faster, leave less stragglers, and it is much better to have a sharp blade cutting the grass cleanly than a semi-sharp blade doing some tearing.

With an electric impact wrench I can change out the blades in less than 5 minutes, which includes the time to jack up and let the mower back down.
  8. clean_cut

O.K. I guess you sharpen them yourself? How do you do it? Grinder?
  9. JDiepstra

Yep a bench grinder. Probably not the best, most perfect way, but it works fine.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This rule of mine didn't come into effect until I had one of THOSE years, seemed like every week I was running home to
    either fix a broken mower or to pick up the spare, there were many times I didn't make it the whole day without being
    interrupted by down time.

So now every time my lawn mower needs fuel, the entire machine goes down for maintenance,
    this includes re-installing sharp blades, greasing zerks, checking tire psi and condition,
    belt tension and condition check, oil level and condition, air filter condition, and most doesn't
    need fixing but basically I go over the whole mower just to be sure.
    Yes, inspect the PCV rubber tube, inspect fuel lines, clean the carburetor and linkages and blow air through the fins and other
    places to get the dust out, inspect drive belts and linkages and bushing and clips and pins and springs, really the whole nine yards.

And I mean every time, my mowers get no fuel without maintenance.
    In most cases this means daily, on a full tank they'll each cut somewhere around 3 acres before running out,
    a lot depends on the grass, some days 2.5 acres they're done, other days 4 acres later it still has fuel.

Another way I know how or when, I open up the tank to get a look, thou in most cases I know when it needs it anymore.
    Was, in all of the years, the best way I found to keep up with the hours :p
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009