How often you need to aerate and dethatch the lawn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yungman, Feb 4, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

How often you need to aerate and dethatch the lawn? What is the cheapest and smallest aerator and/or dethatcher I can buy to do a 3000sqft lawn. I was told don't mess with the Mantis mini tiller with the attachment.

This is for my own lawn only!!! Rental is not necessary good because I don't have a truck to even hault it back.
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Usually once a year will do the trick. If it is just for your yard, get one of the tow behind aerators from Lowes. Or the pull behind tine detatcher. They suck, but if you are just using it on your yard I think it will be fine.
  3. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

Dethatch....not very often. Once a year if needed. often as you want. 2 x per year at least.

The rake will cost $1200, the aerator $2-3500. You can find them used, but if you don't have a trailer or truck you can't pick it up.

My suggestion... call a local lawn care company and pay them to come out and do it.
  4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

How do you not have a truck or anything? Are you in the industry or homeowner?? It would cost you $50 or so to rent the aerator and if you have the average lawn, you really only need to aerate once a year. Opening the lawn up in the spring can bring on bad things if your not on top of it and theres really not that much need in more than once a year. Just dont over fert. Dethaching is hard on your yard and if you dont need to do it, dont. Aeration is a form of dethaching and can keep you from having to dethach.
  5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I aerate once a year. If you aerate, bag the leaves in the fall, and dont allow a huge buildup of clippings you will not need to dethatch that often. When I say not that often I mean every other year or less then that.
  6. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

my own lawn gets aerated 4 to 5 times a year. Once early spring and a fert application. Once late spring. Once early fall with a fert app. Once late fall. Once in the summer with fert if not a Extremely dry summer like last year.

Fracture the earth with fert and you have a really nice lawn. Do solid fert and then the Aeration. Pushes some Fert down.

Home owners once or twice. Depending on there needs.
  7. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Or you can rent one for $35 for 8 hrs

OUTLANDER LawnSite Senior Member

aerate once is plenty,when growing good(early fall)
  9. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Thanks for all the inputs

Mantis mini tiller with aerator tines really don't work!!:cry: That is more affortable, smaller. I don't mind more trouble if it work half way decent!!!:cry::cry: