How often?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman99, May 4, 2005.

1. Mowman99

Mowman99 LawnSite Member

How often do you guys shapen blades? How often do you blow out air filters? How often do you change air filters? How often do you change gas filters? How often do you wash machines? How often do you change oil? How often do you grease machines? Assuming that we cut 5 days a week about 8 hours a day.

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

How often do you use the search? these were all discussed in the past couple weeks :D

blades 1 or 2 times a week, blow out air filters 1 time a week, change them a few times a year as needed, gas filters when needed, wash the mowers 1 time a month, twice a year, grease them everyother week. Just kidding about the search but these were all talked about lately.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Sharpen blades try to on a daily basis,oil changes 25 hours sometimes longer we never wash the mowers until cold weather sets in.grease when needed.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We change oil and put on sharp blades every other week. Change the ail filter at the same time. Change the oil filter once a month. Don't wash mowers only blow them off don't want to start corrosion.

5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I change/sharpen blades at 20 hours, change oil and oil filter at 30 hours, clean/replace air filter at 50 hours, replace gas filter as needed, grease all grease points at 20 hours, wash all equipment at 20 hours (I don't wet them down, I just use a sponge to clean dirt off). Hope this helps!

6. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

How often do you guys shapen blades? 1-2 times a week
    How often do you blow out air filters? As needed, check once a week
    How often do you change air filters? As needed
    How often do you change gas filters? Every Year
    How often do you wash machines? Once every couple of weeks
    How often do you change oil? As recommended, 40hrs.
    How often do you grease machines? 25hrs

7. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

How often do you guys shapen blades? Daily
    How often do you blow out air filters? Weekly
    How often do you change air filters? As needed
    How often do you change gas filters? Yearly
    How often do you wash machines? Weekly
    How often do you change oil? 50 Hours, Mobil 1
    How often do you grease machines? Weekly

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I changes blades every ten hours or as needed. I do all maintenance by what my manual says. Except for oil.. I change filter and oil every 40hrs.

Never blow out the air filters. Unless you are talking about the foam wraps on some filters. Those should be washed out. If you are blowing paper elements out then you are doing more harm then good. I change my filters when the little filter minder tells me to.

In my Hustler manual they state that over servicing the air filter is bad for the mower. Something about dirt getting in the carb from over exposure. Hustler's come stock with the filter minder so this doesn't happen.