How often

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cat2, Nov 3, 2007.

1. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

How often do you wash and wax your equipment? I hand wash and wax my bobcat twice a year. It gets dirty around the farm, If I went out and did other stuff I would wash it more often. The neighbors don't care as long as I get their driveways cleaned in the winter

2. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

we do a total clean/wax twice a year to, for the skid steer.

as for the mowers once a year and wash once a week.

dump truck and enclosed trailer washed every 2 weeks.

3. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

That Turtle wax really really helps to protect the paint, and when you powerwash it the next time everything comes off so much nicer.

4. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I clean mine once or twice a month and use a soap called dewbrite.
    It has a brightening agent in it.It is designed too clean painted aluminum like trailers.
    It really shines it up even as much as wax.

5. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I guess from the previous posts, I would be considered more of a fanatic. Wash and wax dump truck and pick up every two weeks. Track ho and skid get cleaned after each job and occasionally washed down before transport at the end of each job. The interiors of the skids, hoes, tractors, trucks are cleaned of trash at the end of each day and the floors are broom swept clean. There is windex in each rig and the glass is cleaned each a.m. when we grease. I have found if I stay on top of it like this, it takes little time instead of a major chore after months of time. My "cabs" are my office and I prefer to be as clean as possible. Each job we are on, there is trash clean up at the end of each day........from cig. butts, paper, cans......trash, etc......we are broom swept clean as a matter of routine. Guess I am kinda funny that way....

6. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I can tell you I'm very, very, particular about equipment. I'm one of those guys if it don't look nice and is not taken the very best of care I won't own it. All equipment including truck stays in the barn all the time. I try to keep equipment as dry as possible. Tractors get washed and waxed spring and fall. I use to wash my truck every week at least once a week. I know just wash it about once a month but that is as long as it's not in a bunch of mud. It's been pretty dry here all year. The skid steer just gets washed when it's muddy. If it's just dusty I try to just lightly blow the dust off and clean the windows, seat and so on. The skid steer gets greased every time it is used allot which would be every time I use it unless it was just moving something little for a few minutes. I keep records when maintenance has been done on machines. I touch paint up in the fall. I cannot stand to see scratches on equipment. I know at times it's hard to avoid but if it happens I fix it. I have seen skid steers out there that it looked like it's main job was to get all scratched up in life.

7. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I won't wax unless it's at the carwash. Cedar scratches and chips the paint so I just have to live with it. I try to wash it 1x per month and blow it off regularly. I open up the cab and panels often to clean out the crap. The only thing I never do is take off the side windows and clean. If someone tells me how to EASILY do that, I will try it but never got around to learning. Did learn how to put a glass back into the bobcat frame though.. that sucked real bad!

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Our machines never make it back to the shop, they're rarely washed. I like to keep the iron clean, but it just doesn't happen sometimes. I'm all for keeping a professional image, but when the machines are out working and making money the last thing you're worried about is getting them clean.

9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

as long as they don't look like salvage machines I'm happy! I just keep my cab clean and the engine compartment clean weekly so I can watch for leaks and be comfortable when operating but when it's real dusty, I just can't keep it real clean.

10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

whenever a machine goes into our shop to get worked on, oil change, etc... it usually gets the interior vaccumed out and steam washed and thats it, we never wax our machines.

the trucks get washed and waxed when we have slow days where not a whole lot of work is going on, typically in the spring