1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How old do you want to get before you stop cutting grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bdemir, Jun 18, 2000.

1. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Just felt like asking the members a few questions. Like, How old is the oldest person you know that is still cutting grass today, and how long do you plan on cutting grass. This is a laborous job and Im just trying to find out if there are older peolpe doing this all their lives and how they feel.
  2. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I am not old but have been doing landscaping for 13 years now. I'm 28 years old. Started at 15. My back kills me like I'm old sometimes!!! I know a guy who is 55 still doing landscaping. Thats not old but in this business it sure takes a toll on your body!!!<br>Me I think I might die doing it. I just love it so much!!! Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

there a guy that owns a buissness that does alot of lawns in my neighborhood that is easily in his late 60's or even early 70's. he right along side of his 20yr old workers too. i guess when youve been doing landscapiong for 40 years your body stays in pretty good shape... i still admire him though.
  4. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

A cemetery near here has a caretaker that is 81 years old! He has been taking care of the place since he was 13. Now that is dedication.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Jaclawn, That is dedication alright. Wow!!!<br>I thought I was old doing this, but I'm just a young pup at 57 I guess. I plan on doing this till I can't get on my Chopper.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>The Grass is always Greener on the other side of my competitors fence
  6. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my employees is 63. He outworks a lot of the younger guys.<p>I tell new recruits to work with &quot;Herb&quot; for 1 week and if they can keep up, they get a full-time position.<p>Weeds out most of 'em.
  7. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend that is in his 7th year of mowing. He is now 71. Only works four days. He and his son have about 50 accounts.
  8. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! that is great. Now i am asurred i will do this till im relly old. Im 29 and i have bad knees but it doesnt stop me. This job gives ;me energy and endurance. I really like hearing about these old people it gives me more hope for the future.
  9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Hey guys, don't forget to think about the big picture. You having to stop mowing / manula labor doesn't mean you have to retire!! You can just sit back and run the business. I'll probobly stay in the construction scene till I can't get up into the equipment anymore, and then I'll know its my time to lean towards the office end of the biz. I'll have to stay involved till I die though. You guys have great attitudes though, I'll be reading about you dying peacfully on your ZTR's!! Just kiddin! Keep healthy all you old timers!! <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
  10. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

When the good Lord takes Me I hope I'am doing what I enjoy...this is it!Either it be 50 or 90 years of age..I may so down a bit as I age..But I hope to keep going as long as my body lets me.I see a few old timers around here doing it part time..I think its great.<p>----------<br>John <br>