how old is to old

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Diezeldawg, May 12, 2005.

1. Diezeldawg

Diezeldawg LawnSite Member

I'm ready to start out in the lawn care business.I'm unhappy with my present job,rhymes with United Air Lines. I had my own tree business awhile back. A friend of mine is a very successful Chicago north shore landscaper. I have the funds for about 10-13K start up .I have truck already paid for.Im very active, love the outdoors. My question is I'm 38 years old and I feel like i may be too old to start out in this line of work. I still do alot of side tree work so im not out of shape. Any help or advice will be very helpful.I would be able to get overflow work from my friend to build a base. Thank you

2. richmadmax

richmadmax LawnSite Member

You are never too old. I work at United airlines and I started a landscaper Bussince this year. I say go for it. Plus be in your 30 you are more wiser, the unger people more for now and not for later. Now a fellow friend/landscaper is half the battle, ask him for help. Best of luck.

3. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

Funny. Sad, but funny.

I agree that it's never too late.

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

im 42 and can mow circles around most youngsters......wiser and better at dealing with people, not trying to take advantage of you cuz your young.... lots of good things

5. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

I'm also 38 and just starting out this year, as a new stay at home dad I will be part time,,,but in this small town I think part time is all I could muster anyway. My goal for this season is ten yards. Have 1 allready and going to bang on some doors this weekend for some face time.
    Good Luck to you and Go Get'em! :D

6. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

41 and started this year.....my first landscape job(removing sod and planting roses) kicked my a$$...I thought I was in good shape...wrong...slept like a baby that night.....have lost 12 pounds since I started, have some good looking forearms(36''pistol, trimmer) and feel better....drink a ton of H20 and eat better....also growing a small goatee...and thinking of shaving my head....hair is a little thin....never to old... :cool:

7. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

38, out of shape and started again after 4 years off. Just part time, but worst case hire a young one to do the hard stuff or just concentrate on the maintenance.

8. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

38?? Is that your only worry??
    Ive got a guy who helps me out two days a week to keep active.He is reliable works hard , eye for detail and he is so fit.The customers like him on their property.Oh he also is starting up a small delivery business to local areas using employees.
    Ken.... he is 80 !
    Never too old.

STUART

9. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with the never too old. I have been doing it for 16 years, now. Have gone thru all 4 of my sons and 3 nephews. I work too hard for them. Everyone is really physically fit. I have 71 customers for full service. I do it all by myself. I really put a lot of hours into it, but I am happy with that. I plan on doing it until I am not physically capable anymore. I challenge anyone who is younger than me...so I am told. Yes...I am 56 years old and cooking.

10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

You're only as old as you feel. Only problem is that you don't really have enough in start up capital. It may seem like a lot but if you are looking outside then so are several of your counter parts. Market may flood in your area. How much competition is there now? It may take some time to become really established. What kind of equip other than a truck do you currently have?