How old is your Permagreen?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Blink74, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

This is a two part question: First, how old is your Permagreen. Second, have you had to repair it. If so, what repairs and how much did it cost.

Please don't turn this into a Z vs PG thread.

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

4 year old Ultra. 385 hrs. 1 Cutch. 1 pump. 1 Battery. 3 Throttle cables. I just put a new set of front tires on it this winter. I keep the oil changed,grease it etc... I try to take care of it because it takes care of me. :)I only use it about 3.5 of my 6 rounds.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

About 5 year old Ultra. I think about 500 hours--the hour meter quit about 18 months ago. New battery, new pump. Fuse, and neutral safety switch corroded--discarded. Installed generic starter button ($8.00). Rewired some corroded conections.
  4. Blink74

Blink74 LawnSite Member

Do you guys feel they still have a good bit of life in them?
  5. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have a 01 Centri with about 300 hrs. just simple maintenance so far.
    I had 2 Magnums that I sold last year with about 400hrs. had replace almost everything over the last 3 years lol eng,trans,cables,pump,spinner box,tires but they did a good job. if you can get a good deal on a used one buy it! most parts are easily replaced and not too expensive. keep the maintenance up and they should last many years and thousands of hours. my personal opinion is I like the Centri best because of its simple design and it handles hills better than the Magnum.
  6. ted putnam

I think mine has a lot of life left in it. I'm about to take it to the mower shop and have it tuned up. I think the carb needs adjustment. I've lost some RPM's over the years. Overall, I've loved it. In retrospect, I probably wore the clutch out because I hardly take it out of high gear, even on most hills. Laziness:nono: I pushed a spreader for so many years... it helps this 42 yr old get through the day!
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Ultra - 500 hours. 1 belt, 2 pumps, throttle cable, new spinner, a few new conncetions due to corresion, over all great little machine. Only thing I would wish for was that it was a honda ( which is now available) but that is it. Oil, greese, maintain unit.
  8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We have two 2004 Ultras. Both are on their 3rd set of tires. We've replaced wiring, clutches, throttle springs, shifter rods, plastic gears for impeller drive, and several other things...sometimes more than once. For more difficult repairs, we've had both of them tied up for nearly a month at a local Toro dealer who works on them. Both still run, but I think they are on their last leg. Mufflers are loud too.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Oh! I forgot. Replaced both ball and socket joints (Upper and lower) on the tranny shifter. 2006 and 2007. Easy repair--cost about $14, each. Also rust on the control cable for the third hole adjustment, replaced with lawn mower generic type--also rusted. Discarded because I never use it.
  10. ted putnam

For pete's sake, 3rd set of tires for both of them. It sounds like they don't get a lunch break with the rest of your guys:laugh: I forgot. I have replaced the impeller gear and I now replace the belt periodically and keep a spare on the truck. The belt broke one time while I was in a customers back yard. About an acre and a half lawn. It was a barrel of laughs pushing that thing 4-500 ft back to the trailer and pushing it up the ramp.