1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How overloaded do you go?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bbailey, Jul 14, 2006.

1. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

Thought this might be an interesting subject to post about. My 02 F-350 SD Dump has a GVW of 12,500. Went on the scale empty today and the truck weight was 10,200. Got a small load of 3/4 stone and when I left I was around 14,000. Truck handled it with no problem but it got me to thinking of how overweight 1 tons run when loaded. Have you guys ever ran way over and thought, boy I hope I make it and don't get stopped. If so, how heavy(if you want to tell)!
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You highlight on exactly why I think 1-ton dumps are worthless.

As far as how overweight I've been, I once hauled 4,000lbs of drainrock in a 1/2 ton.

The truck wasn't really a halfton, as it had 1-ton springs and axles installed, but it was still legally one.
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

10,000 lbs on the bed of my ford. 22,000 lbs total weight. (truck and load)
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Why is your truck have such a heavy tare weight (empty) ?

My 95 F-450 weighs 8400lbs it has heavier springs etc. A F-350 shouldn't weigh anymore than that you better put your truck on a diet. You biggest offender is the scissor hoist its got to be the worst dumping system your adding 600lbs to your truck right there. You go with a telescoping post hoist it weighs at the most 250lbs and it will bend the truck frame before it powers out. My previous F-450 I used to dump 9000lbs of gravel the hoist never powered out like I meantioned the frame behind the cab would bend before the hoist stopped.

As for overloading it depends on what your DOT is like if they are after anything and everything then you will get caught. My biggest concern is braking power if the truck doesn't have the power to stop the loaded truck then I won't haul it. I have 10% and better grades I'am not going to fool around decending them with not enough braking power.

I have had 1 ton trucks its been there done that never again my trucks had disk/drum brakes never could stop the suspension was too light. I went to F-450s 7 years ago never go back to a 1 ton. The 99 and newwer trucks have 4wheel disk brakes which is a little better but the suspension isn't heavy enough and I'am pretty sure the rear axle isn't heavy enough.

Things to consider

Tire capacity
    Braking capability
    Axle capacity
    Wheel bearings

Heavy loads for me with 1 ton trucks was 6000lbs now that I have gone to F-450s a 6000lb load is a cake walk a heavy load now is 8000lbs :laugh:

You can run a undersized truck for a little while but eventually it will catch up to you and when it does you will prolly be in poo up to your neck. With more people traveling the highways these days you pretty much have to be legal. What I used to haul on 1 ton trucks 10 years ago I won't do today its not worth the chance I have no desire to live in grey bar hotel.

Good Luck

Oh ya have 14 years experience in the trucking business :laugh:
  5. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Are you the one on gm-trucks.com with the green 1/2 / 1 ton ???
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Nope. I don't visit that board.
  7. notoriousDUG

notoriousDUG LawnSite Member

And people wonder why they get poor service life and have brake, trans and suspension issues with their trucks...;)

The GVWR is there for a reason, while you don't need to stick with it 100% to be safe exceding it by huge amounts is just simply not safe.

What you really need is a larger truck like a 4 or 550. 350s with dumps are ind of worthless for anythign but brush
  8. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I don't usually haul heavy loads. Usually grass clippings, bark mulch, brush, stuff like that. I am not looking to upset anyone, I just thought it would be an interesting topic. If I need a big load it is easier for me to hire it delivered.
  9. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your truck actually is rated to carry less than my Chevy 2500HD with dump insert. I can carry 2800 pounds in the bed and that puts me right at my GVWR of 9200. In order to stay at my max rear axle rating the load has to be biased toward the front of the bed a little bit. I have Timbrens installed and I have hauled as much as 4300 pounds but I try to stay at no more than 3000. My real limiting factor is the rear tires. The brakes are excellent and the truck handles a load just fine.
  10. bbailey

bbailey LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

My Ford handles the load just fine too. It is a 6spd so I use the tranny to help slow me down. I don't push the truck that hard either. I also have the highest load rated tires on the truck. My kicker with the truck is the dump body. It is real heavy. I have been looking for a new one, something lighter. The one that is on it has a lot of add ons.