1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Pathetic is This?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TSM, Apr 7, 2004.

1. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

okay, I know there are Lesco fans in here, guys who think Lesco is the best thing since sliced bread. I DONT agree, actually I think Lesco is pathetic .

I buy very little product from them. However, I was in the area of the local Lesco Service Center today and figured 'what the heck, I'm here, so I'll pull in a pick up a pallet of fert/dimension'.

Ok, I like the guys at the place, I mean we get along great and feel a friendship with them, its just the company they work for that I have issues with. Anyway, they tell me they got NO fert/dimension and have been OUT since last Thursday!!!!

I figure, no problem, I got plenty at the shop, just didnt load enough for the killer day we were having and thought I'd get a pallet there. So I start to BS with the guys...they aint got fert/prem either!!

NO preemergent at ALL on the floor since the end of LAST WEEK.
    PATHETIC!!!!! I mean why dont they just close the doors and go on vacation in April??

They tell me this long pathetic story, expecting a truck from FL, start making all kinds of excusses.

All I know is that ANY vedor who dosent have a fert/preemergent product on their floor ready to sell...IS PATHETIC?
  2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing happened here in OK at the local Lesco. I was told they didn't know when the truck would be in! Later, Tony
  3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I got 5 pallets just sitting waiting for someone to spread the stuff, come up my way and I'll sellyou a few :)

I am doing half of my customers with Barricade this year. Been using dimension for 5 years, thought I would try barricade, THe Johnthan Green rep told me Barricade dosent work worth crap, ever use that?
  4. James Cormier

from Ma

You should have time too hang out and shoot the breeze, I was done in plymouth today, and your 2-ahead of us here in central mass, I saw someone mowing.

Hopefully friday I plan on doing some treatments, not 100% yet but I m feeling better.
  5. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

hey Jim (ahem..i have been calling you by your last name, then i just read in here that you prefer your firstname, should have told me man! so Jim it is :))
    anyway I have used barricade, but that was a long time ago, as i remember it was a bit expensive?
    thing is, i dont care what product is used, crabgrass will be a problem on some lawns

also used to mix barricade with roundup for crush stone driveways. baracade did a nice job in that type of application
  6. James Cormier

from Ma

Well, when I being compared to a fat chick standing on one leg with shaving cream and a couple of lite beers,

I can only take soo much,

Its the lite beers that pushed me over the edge,

I like my New Castle brown ale
  7. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Lesco isn't one of my favorites either.
    I don't have the time or the desire to play the pricing game.
    That's usually what I get there.
    You guys in MA. Who do you prefer?
    I've been using Caro-vaille.
    Been very pleased so far.
  8. James Cormier

from Ma

Bob, who you dealing with at caro vail? My good friend is John Hillier, and Charlie is a good guy. Ilike there staight fert prices.

I started with lesco back when i went on my own, they where great and they do have great products, then as the became more popular they changed. Its kinda like buying a car, if your good at haggleing you may do okay but if your not they will screw you.

I never like keeping all my eggs in one basket, so I buy from lesco,caro vail and valley green, you should talk with them (VG ), If you call the sutton office and speak with Craig, he good and knows his stuff. They direct ship just like caro vail. usually his first price is his best price.

I was in pilgrim country today, I was gonna call you but I figured you where crazy busy, and My back is still bothering me so I went straight home. Grass is greener down there, It so neet to see the cranberry bogs down there. Told my kids I drove buy the "rock" they said cool....that things about the size of my sneaker, what happened to it?
  9. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

To many tourists stealing souvenirs!

I deal w/Charlie.
    He is a very good man.
    Has always treated me well.
    They were pretty lenient with me when I was new too.

Charlie also met my wife and daughter for lunch one time.
    (Yes I was there)
    He brought a little gift for the baby.
    I thought that was pretty cool.

I wouldnt mind checkin out VG though.
    What is the number up there?
  10. goforgreen2

goforgreen2 LawnSite Member

As a recently former employee of Lesco, I can tell you that there are boatloads of problems with that company. We actually had a spreadsheet sent out every week informing us if we were over our inventory budget upled with reducing our restock from weekly to bi-weekly. The new management is there for one pupose only, to make the company ready to sell. Rumors are Toro or Scott's are the companies most likely. I can tell you that every decision made was without regard to the customer. They have forced us to shop and we were amazed at the pricing available in our area. 30 to 40% cheaper. Lesco's new philosophy is to be the 7-11 of the industry. Thinking we'll pay more for the convience. I could go on and on, but don't want to bore you guys anymore.