How Profitable is You Business?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by OPLawns, May 25, 2008.

1. OPLawns

OPLawns LawnSite Member

Does anyone make a good margin on just MOWING alone in the Midwest? I mean how much would you have to gross to get 100K NET INCOME?

2. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Dont ask this question, a lot of ppl on here wil tell you they get a 50% profit margin heh.

3. OPLawns

OPLawns LawnSite Member

Let me clarify...for a small business who is:
    1) Insured
    2) Has active marketing/management
    3) Efficient staff/labor and ample equipment

I would guess the margin is somewhere between 10%-35%?

4. grasshopperslawn

grasshopperslawn LawnSite Senior Member

If projected right I will gross 150k this year And I might end up with 45% net if I am lucky

5. grasshopperslawn

grasshopperslawn LawnSite Senior Member

If projected right I will gross 150k this year And I might end up with 45% net if I am lucky

6. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

45% net profit???? Where are you buying your fuel?

7. F3Nelson

F3Nelson LawnSite Member

I have relatives working at some of the big boys (if you are in KS you have heard of them) and they get about 30%

Hey I need some help with a HOA property, its in Olathe takes me 3 hours to do alone, I think with 2 guys we can get it to an hour, hour and a half, let me know if you are interested

8. OPLawns

OPLawns LawnSite Member

Hey F3...I bet that's about right. 30% is a really good margin all things considered. Do the big guys (Epic/Suburban/etc) make a much larger margin on landscaping? I have a feeling that is where the real markup/profit is at.

9. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Our best profit is in flower bed clean outs and re mulching. There is almost no material, just manual labor. Me and my brother-in-law line up atleast one $1000 day just on flower bed clean out a week. One 8 hour day, and we pocket $62.5 an hour each on those days, would rather mow or sell, but its alot better money...lol. Sometimes I send one of the guys in my place, and still pocket about $400 for 5 minutes of explaining where they are....lol (I have been doing more of that here lately, to busy selling and delivering mowers...lol).

10. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have a business I don't work in the field ever. I draw a decent salary and I can tell you until I put that third crew on the road we make zilch-zero-nada on cutting lawns. Last year after my salary we made about 6-K net profit, our gross was just under 500-K

My numbers tell me that until I have 3 crews of 3 guys producing at about 80-85% I will actually loose money on mow only accounts. If you are working in the field that will be different I make what I do on flowers, plant additions and replacements, light bulbs, fertilizer etc.

Needless to say we are pushing hard for that 3rd crew. I am legal, pay my guys above avg. and provide health insurance and paid vacations and numerous other benefits.

"Do the right thing even when you can't afford to" That's my motto.