1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How rude

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by StBalor, Apr 22, 2006.

1. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

After spending alot of time reading over the site and seeing how friendly everyone is. And also every saying to network with others within your area. I thought i would give it a try.
    I was cutting a lawn when another guy pulled up across the street and was getting ready to cut the lawn across from me. I walked over introduced myself and immediatly you could tell he did not want to talk to me at all.
    The next day diff guy, i tried it again, introduced myself, shook his hand and asked him how it was going? This guy was a little more polite, but still you could tell he did not want anything to do with meeting me.
    I know we are all very busy this time of year,but these guys were just plain rude.
    Even when at the gas station it seems like we all keep to ourselves. Why is this?
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Because the first thing that is probably crossing their mind is, "what is this guys motive in wanting to talk to me?" if you were to continue to wave and say hi each time you saw 'em, they would probably warm up to you.
  3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I was doing a yard yesterday and a guy approached me and wanted to look at my trimmer rack. Said he was in the market for one.

Turns out we knew some of the same people so we talked for about 10 minutes.

Exchanged cards on went on our ways.

It takes less effort to be polite to someone then it does to be a d*****bag.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

In my case and due to my own experiences, my reaction would've been a highly similar FU type of response. The reason for this is because in this dog eat dog world, nice as you think you are, unfortunately I can never be too sure if your intentions are as clean as they appear. It's gotten to the point when someone very nice comes around to start talking, I start to turn looks at my truck and trailer to make sure this isn't some sort of trick to distract me while some buddy of theirs helps himself to some gratis equipment.

There are also more than a few folks out there who like to 'ride' business owners for a little while (20 minutes usually does it) and / or just plain waste our time talking as this appears to excite them and they get a kick out of doing it. As far as other business owners, I want nothing to do with them because most just want something for nothing and really so do most folks come around trying to be all friendly. I'm not your buddy, I'm the president of my own corporation and if there's something I can do for you then spit it out but otherwise please stop beating around the bush and trying to become my friend because it's not happening, you are not taking me, my company, or any bits or pieces or parts of it to help yourself.

You can spare me the 'oh no that's just unreal and I would never do that' crap as well because everybody says that, both the folks who would never do it and the ones who do it all the time. They all do, they act so nice to be your friend and soon as you let them 'in,' then they want me to do something 'special' for them, or gee maybe we could 'trade' since we're such great friends even thou we just met 30 minutes ago. Yeah, trade what, your 20 bits of inexperienced I-dunno's for 20 minutes of my time? And even if you have something better to trade, chances are the deal is at best 50-50 and that does NOT work! NO, it doesn't because at best 50-50 translates to my chances of being took are better than average. At best should be 100 percent, at worst 0 - When best chance is 50-50, as you can see it is time to run because at worst my chances of coming out ahead are still 0 so I'm looking at deals where my chances of coming out ahead range from 0 to half-half, all the time. You wouldn't do it either, but I can see why you'd come up to me and try the crap, seeing how it's to your advantage.
  5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Topsites, all i can say is WOW! Not everyone is out to get over on you dude. I know it seems like it sometimes.
    All i was trying to do was meet them, cause we will probably be Running into each other quite a bit. And it would have been nice to say, hello topsites, how's it going today. Not turning away form each other every time we did.
  6. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

Saying Hi and being polite has gottem me a few accounts from other LCO's. There schedule has been too full or they didn't want the job etc... So they refered customers to me. Anyway by being friendly and exchanging cads has been benificial to me. :usflag:
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

because, you're the reason this guy is only making $40 an hour, rather than $65
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have found the same to be true as well...then again, I am a helluva nice guy.
  9. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Unfortunatly most landscapers are a Pathetic Bunch of Cry Babies!!!!! I luv the local landscape ass. in my area, they cry about all the low balling, the crumby employees, for more than 10yrs.........they havent gotten around to a uniform priceing structure...........so now 6 outa 10 landscape companies are run by there Amigo counter parts [ not workers- Owners].............But for you Sir, there maybe a future.....keep bein the nice guy and watch your bizness grow!!!!!! Good Luck, and carry a box of Kleenex:usflag:
  10. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We have actually been able to network with a few local LCO. Not everyone out there wants to be your friend. However, I have landed some work from other guys and they are there to help us when we need it. Those that do not want to be friendly with you don't worry about them. Network with a few and you should be good.