How safe is it to buy lawn equipment off Ebay?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Freddy_Kruger, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never done online perchases, prices are tempting, I've heard of stories both ways, You cant get ripped off and you can get ripped off.

Don't think I will buy off ebay even though a guy on this forum got an expensive blower for half price (actually I don't know that he got it, he did order it) I'm just tossing around Idea's.

Oh yeah, I'm in canada. I think I heard that ebay ships to canada. Would shipping eliminate the discounts one might find on ebay?

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can be ripped off if you arent careful and you also can catch a good deal.I have bought some small equipment like leaf blowers and string trimmers and cought some pretty good deals.

As far as shipping goes you have to figure all that into the final price. If you are only saving 10 bucks or so its not really worth it imo. It takes some time to find a real good deal, you cant just go on ebay and expect the first thing you look at to be the one your buying.

3. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I've bought two walk behinds, a ZTR, a snowplow, and a few other misc things from e-bay. Good expiriences each time.

4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

A lot of times people make there money on the shipping instead of the product so be sure to take that into consideration

5. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had great buys off ebay saving me some very serious money. Never had any problems at all, you just have to be careful. Get the sellers phone number and contact them. It is the easist way to start off the purchase. Lets you know what eachother's intentions really are! Good luck!:waving:

6. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I've also had very good luck with ebay so far for equipment.
    Got a new Prolocker for $3.25:) Bought an Briggs engine(from Canada) and a couple hedge trimmers also.

7. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a ZTR not to long ago and didn't have any problems. I paid cash when I got there. If the mower would have been less then he claimed it was then I simply would not have paid him. When I began searching on ebay, I was only interested in mowers that were within 200 miles so I could easily drive to pick it up. I found one about 50 miles away.

I recently purchased a 75 corvette from St. Louis also. I had intended on flying up a driving it home but the seller arranged for transport. Cost me $750. On this deal I sent him a certified check for the total amount. I wasn't to worried because he had plenty of good feed back selling high dollar things. The car was actually in better shape then I was expecting.

I guess what it boils down to is knowing as much as possible about who you are dealing with.

8. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Ebay is great - IF - you check the sellers feedback history. I only purchase if it is 98% positive or greater. I purchased a $12,000 Lexus for $7,500 a year ago. It was from a guy who had sold 150 vehicles on Ebay and not one negative feedback. :usflag:

9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I buy and sell on eBay...I bought an Eddie Bauer Ford Bronco off eBay for 5,000. Excellent deal:cool2:

10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

bought a blubird de thatcher for $450 shipped and the things a good 100 lbs... was in mint condition i had to assemble it myself

bought a mclane edger for about $170 shipped perfect.... throttle cable snapped after a bunch of uses cost $20 for a new cable

and redmax 7001 for $225 shipped

pay through paypal and if anything is even remotely close to diff from the description you can file a claim and 90% of the time get ur money back easily.. my tip is you must have one friend who is very good with ebay send him the link and let them analize it