How Safe!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawn perfection, Aug 5, 2003.

1. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

HOW SAFE IS USING DOUBLES? I WANT TO TRY THIS, I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING WRONG. I HAVE A NEW LAZER 60IN 27HP. SOME GUYS SAY THEY ARE MOWING 6 TO 8 IN WET GRASS NO CLUMPING NO CLOGGING ETC. MY MOWER DOES NOT MOW WELL IN THE TALL WET GRASS, I GET CLUMPS GALORE!! WILL DOUBLES SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.
    DUKE

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

maybe, maybe not. It may solve the problem, but then again it may not. I put doubles on my mowers and yes the clumps did decrease slightly, but the horsepower took a dramatic drop.

I feel that it depends on the type of grass, the type of condition (wet & dry), the type of mower, and the type of operator.

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

The only way to know is to go out and get another set of blades and try it. I run doubles and love the results.

Gravely_Man

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Maybe some chains behind the mower would also help to break up the clumps. Like striping chains.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

do u have to get a longer bolt to run doubles

6. lawn perfection

i just went and bought a set of hi-lift gators, how do i go about putting them on. i have a 60inch lazer 27hp. will blades be safe doubled? that was a dumb question, you are running doubles,sorry. should i put the gators on top or bottom? how do you run yours?

7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Gators on bottom.

8. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have been running doubles now for almost 3 years. No safety issues that I can think of or have come across.
    I have the straights on the bottom and the Gators on the top. They are arranged in an X so that they look like a railroad crossing sign. I think the most important thing is to make sure .... I will say again .... make very sure that you have well balanced blades.
    As to your question about wet grass, honestly I would not use the second set of Gators, I would use double straight blades for heavy wet grass .... better cut and discharge .... don't even bother trying to bag it. Not going to really change the clumping situation if the grass is that soaking wet, it will stick to everything no matter what you do.

9. lawn perfection

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS I APPRECIATE IT. WHEN THE RAIN STOPS I'M GOING TO TRY SOME DIFF COMBOS. I WILL LET YALL KNOW WHAT WORKS BEST FOR ME.
    DUKE

10. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

try the MEG MO blades they work in any grass no lump no changing for differnt grasses. they are safer then the doubles.