1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Scag could sell more Z's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Sep 25, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

My friend let me mow with his Turf Tiger for awhile yesterday just so he could drink beer and watch. It was a 27 lc Kaw about 3 years old. Feels much different than other mowers that I've been on but a good solid feeling machine with a good cut. If Scag would just lighten up on the dampening on those levers they would sell a lot more of them. Or at lest give the customer a choice on some smaller dampers. That was my only complaint. I could get used to them but why should I. They are way outside the industry norm for dampening.
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I have sit on them a couple times at the dealer and did notice the sticks were very stiff. I agree, they should be softened up a bit.
  3. Mark889

Mark889 LawnSite Member
    from SE PA

The sticks are incredibly stiff I agree. I also agree they would sell more units if they lightened up the dampening. If I buy a scag I am blowing those dampeners somehow.
  4. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. Was on a new scag wildcat last week. Very stiff. Scag is actually one of the mower I am looking at for next season. Not many people posting complaints about the new deck.
  5. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

They loosen up with a little time, also they install a spring pusher thingy to push the sticks back to neutral from reverse, so anytime you pull the levers back past neutral your pushing in that stupid spring! I took the spring things off my scags and it makes it alot easier to use and I have not seen any ill effects.

the dampeners are stiffer than others though, I agree! Toro seems to have soft ones on their units, I feel pretty sure you could buy a set from toro and bolts them onto a scag....
  6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Scag Turf Tiger and a Tiger Cub. The Tiger cubs dampeners are not near as stiff as the Turf Tigers. The Tiger Cub is a 2004 and the Turf Tiger is a 2006. I like our Scags but wish the Tiger Cub had a velocity deck. The Velocity doesn't load up with clipping in wet grass like the advantage.
  7. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Once you get used to scags dampers, most other mowers steering levers feel wimpy. I put Exmark dampers on my tiger and it was so jerky I took them off and put the origionals back on. One good thing about them is when mowing large areas, you set the speed where you want it (usually full speed) and relax. But even my exmark felt stiff compared to the dixie and hustler I demoed.
  8. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

yes they do get looser and they are tighter cause if you go out cutting all day it is less wear on your body cause they hold the tracking better over bumps..
  9. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

my dixie is so soft, i can easily push them with my pinky finger.... its hard to get used to, but when you are used to them its easier to operate because your using less effort, and the controls feel more like joysticks than what they actually are... i the dixie the way it is... for some reason mine feels really touchy when going slow, but im used to it now..
  10. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Took the words outa my mouth! I can run the whole machine with my wrist.