How scared where you?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WaterGuru, Dec 26, 2006.

1. WaterGuru

WaterGuru LawnSite Member
    from Florida

How scared were you when you started your own business?

2. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Let's just say ... if it doesn't scare you, it's not an adventure worth taking. It's going to be scary, but you have to meet it head on and with determination to succeed.

Remember ... the glass is half full.

Dave

3. CurbAppeal33

CurbAppeal33 LawnSite Member

I am in the same boat for this upcoming year. What ideas do have to get started? What do you plan to purchase?

best of luck

4. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I used to get scared all the time, still do from time to time.

Mainly scared about how I would pay bills in the winter.... Scared of getting cancellations....

Anyway, if you have the right attitude and learn how to manage money and properly save up for winter, there isn't much to be scared about.

5. WaterGuru

from Florida

I am going to be doing just irrigation service. I have everything i need, except clients!

Been doing this for many years, and after the year I had, I decided it was time to do it for myself. See my post here http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=169997

6. CurbAppeal33

CurbAppeal33 LawnSite Member

I won't be doing irrigation. I will be do mowing, trimming, blowing, hedging, pruning, aeration, overseeding and fert apps.

My biggest thing is advertising for customers. Any ideas? I know flyers, door hangers, and ad in the paper but I would like to do best option first.

7. WaterGuru

from Florida

I am planning on doing direct mail outs. Just trying to decide where to rent/buy the address list from.

I also plan on doing a little advertising in a local magazine like a penny saver or flyer mag. Not sure any of this will work.

I also plan on doing HOAs and commercial jobs. For the commercial jobs I will be doing a lot of cold calls and job site visits. Thats really the only way to get commercial jobs. You need to get in there and meet the property managers.

I am also going to go after apartment complexes. As the managers are alway on site and are easier to track down.
    I can't say that is good for you or anyone, just what I plan on doing.

8. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I went to the town offices and paid between 10 and 25 bucks for the street listing book. It's all the info they get from census. Mine gave me name of everyone in the house, address, voting registration, age, and occupation. Try going to you town hall and see if they have them for the public.

9. WaterGuru

from Florida

I read somewhere that the Chamber of Commerce does this. Is this where you went? I have that on my list of people to call today.

10. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

City/town clerks office at the town halls. Its pretty nice when you can put the addresses name on mailer instead of to resident. little personal touch. I found that if I could figure out who the wife or woman of the house was I got a better responce