1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How sharp do you guys sharpen your blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HacMan91, Jul 22, 2001.

1. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Do you guys put a razor sharp edge on your blades or do you put a moderately sharp blade so it wont damage or brake easily. It seems to me the sharper the blade it dulls quicker and damages easier. Not all my yards are golf course quality, some have occassional pepples or twigs etc. I usually put a clean semi sharp blade. I know most guys use a grinder but I have always used a belt sander with 50 or 80 grit sand paper, it last a while and puts a smooth factory looking edge on it.:confused:
  2. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

I would say to just do a search on some of the key words you mentioned. You will find all kinds of useful information.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I install razor sharp blades every day I cut grass. I feel it is very important to help make lawns look as good as possible.

Here is a search on blades with 124 threads in the result. I'm sure you will find several threads and hundreds of posts on this same subject.
  4. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

My blades are so sharp that ... the other day I was under the Lazer taking off dull blades and something caused me to need to jump right up [senior moment here, can't remember what it was].

I put my hand out to push myself up, kind of gripping the top blade of the three newly sharpened ones I had stacked next to myself. The stack slid causing the ball of my thumb to run right down the seven inch razor sharp bevel of one of the blades, slicing right through my leather glove [I'm not completely stupid] and of course into my thumb. I immediately pulled the glove off and put as much pressure as I could on it, pushing both sides of the wound together [used to be an EMT].

My wife thought I needed stitches and was ready to take me to the ER, but I just held pressure for about 15 minutes and then had her wrap a bandaid as tight as she could around it. Since we had just vacationed at the beach I had bought some waterproof band-aids made by 3M and I've never had a product work so well. These aren't like the regular bandaids you think about, they are clear, very thin, stick like crazy, have a protective coating on both sides which has to be removed and have a smaller than usual wound pad. I had to wear the bandaid for about a week but at least it didn't need stitches.

Yes, my blades are sharp. Be careful out there! Will M>
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If I ever reach puberty I will be able to shave with em.

Not only will our blades out perform the 'ol Ginsu Knives, we change them twice every day to keep the cut meticulous and production at its peak of performance.

6. mowahman

mowahman LawnSite Member

RAZOR SHARP !!!!!!!!! Once, my foreman got cut real bad, across three knuckles when wrench slipped. Got the cure for that, went and got a $200 chain male glove and a kevlar meat cutters glove we now wear when changing blades. Kinda pricey, but WAY less expensive than stitches and lost time, not to mention the bad feeling that one of your guys just got hurt. Accidents take no hoidays !!!!!!!
  7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i use a wizard rotary tool with a grinding disc on it,

it's effective
  8. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

The key is sharp and changed every day on the mowers your using full time. We do very little hand mowing so that may get done every week. Most guys are probably doing a minimum of 20-25 lawn a day, that's equivalent to Joe homeowner
    cutting his lawn for the entire season. (in my area) So in my opinion, they need to be sharp every day. Also if your blades are getting dull quickly, you might want to check the angle your grinding them at.
  9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Razor sharp & done daily. I have been useing a 4 1/2" grinder w/ a 36 grit grinding disc. The disc works excellent and I can sharpen blades very quickly :) ED
  10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

naw fellas yaw dead wrong. you want a nice blunt edge
    so it wont nick up as bad.:D . i couldnt resist that.
    im gona try to behave the rest o the day.later nowTM