How sharp do you sharpen your bades??????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craftybigdog, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I sharpen my own blades and I use a angle grinder Im real careful not to overheat the metal because it weakens it, but my question is how sharp do you get yours heres a baseline you know when you buy a new set of blades do you put even more of an edge on them than that? I usually lightly brush new blades with my grinder what do you think thanks alot guys! One more when do you know the blades are done and you cant sharpen them anymore?

2. MAGNA MATIC 9000 is what we use we just got it month or two ago great piece of machinery.

3. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

We never touch up new blades, not supposed to be razor sharp.

4. meant to also add we get em razor sharp and sharpen the blades first thing even when we buy brand new ones.

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Since blades are only about $40 for a set of three, you don't have to put that much effort into deciding when to chuck them. Just look at them and say, "Yup, time to buy new ones. Also, I put a razor end on new ones, since they ain't balanced that well anyway, and should be when running doubles. And Boy, nice sharp blades do cut nice..... you can tell the difference.......
    Pete

6. Damn you guys realy need to find a better place to buy blades.

Don't know exactly what mower you have but the 54" has popped out a lot.

I got $5.15 a blade for Silver Streak.

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, I tried the SS's, but they weren't as strong as the stock Hustlers, and the Hustlers would hold an edge much longer. I figured out the time to sharpen and change blade twice as often, and it was much more economical to use the better stock blades.
    Actually, since I do my own sharpening, it's easy to "feel" the hardness of the better Hustler blades when you run them through the grinder/sharpener.
    Pete

8. Don't buy the .205 blades buy the .250 blades. That was the price for the .250 blades which are the same thickness as your Hustlers.

Strenth; those physics books are hurting your brain.

That is the thickness not strength. I hardly dought you can feel the strength of a blade while grinding it on you angle grinder.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I sharpen by hand with a 12 inch mill ******* file. I've never overheated my blades with this method.:D

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I sharpen and balance new blades. The factory job sucks.

Oh, very sharp also. Pretty close to razor.