1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Sharp is Sharp?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dkeisala, Apr 15, 2005.

1. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I used to try to get my mower blades super sharp with a razor thin edge but then started thinking this may cause the blade to dull faster and sustain more damage from rocks and other hard debris. Now, I get them pretty sharp on the grinder then round off the edge with a hand file, dressing both sides of the blades to get the excess metal to "roll" off the knife edge of the blade. Now my blades seem to stay sharper longer and the nicking doesn't seem to be as bad.

So...how sharp do you try to get your blades?
  2. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I was taught that the super sharp edge isn't as important as getting a consistent angle on the blade. The edge is the cutting part, but the angle is what pushes the clippings up and away.

Super sharp edges are thinner and nick easier. But, I wouldn't exactly file them down! Get the angle right, and the blade will be the correct sharpness
  3. genoaustin

genoaustin LawnSite Member

Do you sharpen from the edge into the center of the blade, or from the center toward the edge? Do you find it makes a difference?

I find that I get a better edge (with a hand grinder or a hand file) if I am sharpening away from the center toward the edge.

4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I just did a search on blade sharpening. There are 18 pages with 234 posts. There are approximately 15,426 replies and over 520,000 views. There is one post that had 47,190 views that I did not include. Is this subject not the single most talked about
    item ever? The reason I bring this up is because I would rather tell you about my discovery than talk about blade sharpening. After you read 15,426 replies you will not know any more than you do now. You will only be more convinced than ever that your way is the best way. Only one thing matters. If there isn't any grass commin out of that mower, your not making any money.
  5. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you Littleriver1
  6. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Actually a very fine sharp edge will dull much quicker. Her is how to change that. Everytime you sharpen your blade take your finger and run it up and down on the back of the blade (flat part). You will notice a slight burr on the back. On your last pass with your grinder shut it off turn blade around and lightly touch back edge to grinder. It will remove that burr which will reduce the very sharp edge and make for a longer lasting blade. Having said that I still change blades two to three times per day because some of our grasses are really tough in July and August.
  7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

pretty sharp. Your wasting your time getting a razor sharp edge. Just make sure you are not scorching the metal. Keep it cool and your edge will hold longer.