How Sharp Is Your Blade?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ClayMcC, Jul 24, 2005.

1. ClayMcC

ClayMcC LawnSite Member

I have a figment of an idea for a new small business.

For lack of a better name, I'll call it:

"Lawn Mower Blade Sharpening While 'U Wait"

Basically, the idea is this:

I come to your home, shop, job site... wherever... I'll even come to the parking lot outside the restaurant where you and/or your crew is doing lunch, and in less time and for less money then you can do it yourself, sharpen your blades and saws.

What do you think? Is this something that's needed? Is this something that's already being done? Do you sharpen your stuff, or do you send it out? How do the big companies handle sharpening?

Thanks in Advance.
  2. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

its call DO IT YOUR SELF every nite when i come in ..i change my blades....i have three set of blade for my mower,,,,,,,,and every weekend i change my oil and filter .....i dont work on sunday so i go to church and work on my equipment and get it ready for monday ,,,,my mower will be a year old this month and got 368 hrs on it right now WOW ...time to slow down lol......God bless you all........
  3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got 5 sets of gators, 3 high lifts, 2 stock mulch, change blades every night, mid day if i hit something, or when ever needed, shapen all blades at same time just like you, sunday is maint. day.
    no need for outsider to touch my blades, only takes a couple minuites to change out blades & if i need to I can sharpen them at night.
  4. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

or as close as I can get :D I generally sharpen as needed but never let it go to a dull edge. Some times of the season seem to be much harder on the blades than others so I check 'em regularly.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I was told that if the grass looks torn on the top it's time to sharpen....

Other than that your wasting your time
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It might not be a bad idea, except for cost...
    My dealer USED to sharpen a blade OR a chain for 3 bucks a pop, I used to let him do the chains until the price went up to 5 each and keep in mind, my chainsaw is something I might use 4-6 times / year.
    But I mow daily and even at 3 dollars each, I did my own blades because it takes at MOST 2 minutes each, so that's like 90 dollars/hour and I can't afford those rates.

The most I would pay today for someone to sharpen my blades maybe 50 cents a piece and even that comes out to 30 dollars/hour because they'll rush it and they won't do it the way I like them done...

Also why do you ppls change oil so often? I change the oil in my wb's once/year w/ synthetic racing blend.
  7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I'm like you....

Why change the oil so offten ?

I hate to admit this but I clean the air filter when I think about it....
  8. ClayMcC

ClayMcC LawnSite Member

Like you all, I am a Do-It-Your-Selfer.

When my chain saw blade is dull, I'll just stop, sit down with a file, and file until it's sharp again.

When my mower blades are dull, I'll just pull it up onto the ramps, pull out the spark plug wire, crawl under it with a hand-held grinder, and grind until they're sharp again.

One day not long ago, I came across this:

For several days I thought about this.

Check this out:

and this:

A lot cheaper then a rider. Cheaper then a stand behind.
  9. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

2 sets if Gators, 3 sets of High Lifts, and 1 set of Factory blades. :)