How short should you mow your grass before slit seeding?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Sep 16, 2008.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Right before I overseed my thin lawn with a slice seeder, how long should the grass be cut? 2" do it? Or shorter? Should I bag the clippings for this cut?
    Thanks

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone with advice here - am planning to do this work soon, thanks kindly.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

2" should be fine and it shouldn't make much difference about the clippings. Your main concern would be whether you are sowing into thatch or into soil. :)

4. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

Most say to 1.5" to 2.0" and bag the clippings, but then if you are slit seeding, then it is not usually necessary unless thatch is a problem and previous post said. I would think you want to mow low enough to reduce competition for your new seedlings.

5. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

That's interesting, I have never bagged the clippings before slit seeding - and I usually end up mowing at about 1". Never had any problems, but then again I have never slit seeded anything but rye or fescue. I think how low you go would depend on the grass type you are penetrating. (e.g., zoysia or bermuda)

6. csmlawn

csmlawn LawnSite Member

I don't get this whole slit seeding if you have an established lawn. If you don't I see the benefit of slit seeding. However, I just aerate and overseed my lawn. But I've seen some posts here that power rake, aerate and then slit seed an already established lawn. Isn't that overkill? I don't bag clippings as long as they are mulched up real good. If you have excess, yeah, I can see bagging up the excess.

Scott

7. cpa4t9r

cpa4t9r LawnSite Member

I agree - you want to get the grass low but I don't think you would want to scalp it so bad to damage the existing turf. I think the rationale behind bagging if overseeding (without slit seeding) is to increase likelihood of seed to soil contact. Not a problem with slit seeding and you don't really need to use straw according to some/most.

8. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

well seed does just die after years, adding more seed increases a healthy lawn,helps reduce weeds, will tolerate less water and more traffic. over kill no it is the proper way, we lower down to 2-2.5 before we do the renovation. make sure you leave watering instructions when done you lose about 30% of seed if not watered correctly, sounds stupid but most people do not know how to water seed

9. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly,
    and I myself didn't even know this just used common sense and the fact that after I slit seed my existing front with a power rake I cut about 2.5 inches and bagged the clippings because I want to walk on it as little as possible which is only watering right now. Don't want to have to mow it again for at least three weeks was my reasoning (less walking on the grass and heavy mower).

10. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

What's the proper why to water?