How should I attack this?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jhawk71, Dec 4, 2007.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

This spring I plan to redo my backyard patio and retaining wall. The wall and patio were originally installed around 10-12 years ago. Gaps are forming in the wall and the patio is settling badly.

I plan to reuse the wall block. The pavers are standard 4"x8" bricks. I am unsure if I will reuse the bricks or opt for an interlocking paver.

I plan to dismantle the entire wall to see what the footing looks like. The wall was installed on a concrete base. When the wall is dismantled I will inspect the footing. My guess is it will be cracked and shifted somewhat. If the base needs replacing I will use a standard compacted rock base.

There is no geogrid currently in the wall. When I rebuild should I put geo grid in? The wall at its highest is 42".

For the patio I am unsure if there is any fabric between the soil and base material. I plan on removing on the old base material and starting from scratch.

So my question is I am going about this the correct way? I have built small walkways and paths around the house but never something this big.

Thanks

dsc_6285.jpg

dsc_6277.jpg

dsc_6282.jpg

dsc_6279.jpg

dsc_6281.jpg

2. Dhouse

Dhouse LawnSite Member

Wow, There are way to many things wrong with this project, I would get a hand cramp writing it all. Was this done by a company or is it a homeowner special?

3. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a drainage issue to me.....

4. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

The patio and wall were built by a hardscaping company. The company is no longer in business which may explain things. How should I go about correcting the drainage?

Thanks

5. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Tear it out. Use proper compaction methods & install drainage field. I would reuse the wall block and brick if it were my house, and spend the money on flowable fill. Not a beginner project, basically start over. If it were my house I might question my HO insurance to see if it can be covered.

6. Top Dog Pavers

Top Dog Pavers LawnSite Member

I agree & get rid of those gutters to the side also...

7. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

Starting over is the best idea.

I would make sure that you will have enough wall block to build the next wall, just so you don't run short. The biggest problem that I see is that water probably got behind that wall and with the freeze/thaw cycles it has pushed the wall out.

I would definately use grid, it is a small piece of insurance. Using it doesn't hurt you to use it, but not using it can. Take care of any water issues, water isn't good for a wall so the less water anywhere the better. Focus on drainage both above in the patio area and behind the wall with clean stone. Compaction is a must and use a polymeric sand to lessen the amount of water that gets below the pavers.

If you have done some jobs before and you take your time there is no reason why you can't do this. It isn't rocket science and the hardest part is doing the right thing and not taking short-cuts. There is alot of info on this site and you are free to ask questions.

Good luck!

Walter

8. B. L. Landscaping

B. L. Landscaping LawnSite Member

you said it captain that is definately a drainage issue.

9. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

There always experts to tell how the competition did it wrong, but I don't even see a gutter above the bay window and I question how much water is coming down there. So I am not so quick to lay blame on the installer. I don't see the gutter top dog is talking about. in fact see one put off to the side behind the living room. You need to hurry I see cracks in your basement which can cause problems down the road.

10. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

You should go about it with a mini ex and a jackhammer attachment