1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How should I bid on this one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nherweck, Oct 27, 2005.

1. nherweck

nherweck LawnSite Senior Member

I was called today about a two acre lot and I have NEVER serviced something that large. Ive only serviced 10,000 sq.ft. and smaller. I'm unsure of how to price such a large lot. It has about 4 trees to trim around and a solid fence around a pool as well. On one side of the yard, it is about 1000 ft long and has a slope of about 20-25 degrees. How should I quote this guy? My typical lawn is 6,000 sq.ft. and takes me about 15 minutes at $25. This guy will probably take me 1-1.5 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

What equipment u using?
  3. JMB

JMB LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Is that 1.5 hours from the time you park your truck and load back up?? I estimate how long it will take, then multiply that by my hourly rate and then give an estimate. I do not give my hourly rate.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

2 acre lot, $100-$120 is the going rate since you know the size.

Acres start at $60/acre and it goes DOWN as you pick up more acres, once you get around to 15+ acre lots I think the price is as low as 20-25/acre (which is as low as it gets), but I think $50-$60/acre for this 2-acre lot is a fair price, you'll need to adjust the exact total for the customer after you're done. Plan on 1.5 hours straight cutting with a 48" Wb at full speed, about 30 minutes trimming, then a little time blowing down, you should be done in a bit over 2 hours. If the guy's cool, I'd do it for 45-50/hour, meaning 100 bucks even if it's right around 2 hours.

The slope, well I dunno, I got a slope measuring device and what looks like 45 degrees to me actually turns out to be more like 16 degrees but you'll have to judge by yourself how much a pita it is (i.e.: how dangerous). If it's real tricky and it takes forever, then 120 helps cover for this.

Far as time loading/unloading, from the time I stop the truck until the Wb is physically chomping grass it takes me less than a minute, and that is on me. Once I'm working on their yard, ALL time is on them with exceptions made when something breaks down, they pay for the switch from Wb to weed-eater, so to speak. Once I'm done blowing, that's about TIME.

But yeah, just tell the guy 100-120, don't worry much 'bout fooling with the hourly rate explanation.
  5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i wish i could get that price around here.shoot we get only about 30.00 to 40.00 per acre here. but thats only mow and trim.no edge or blow.they dont need it.
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

do you have an hourly rate you try to obtain?

Do you know your costs?

Are you pretty sure how long it will actually take? And I don't mean to cut once, I mean man hours per year.

If you know the answer to all these questions then pricing is easy. And after you figure out the first two, then it is just a matter of getting more accurate with the last one. Nothing but experience will fix that.

rate x hours = price
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

It does not matter what equipment he is using. In his area, there is probably a fairly standard charge for 2 acres mowed. It does not matter if it is push mowed, or mega wide deck mowed. A job is worth x # of dollars period. It is up to the LCO to have the equipment that makes it profitable.........

I happen to have a 2 acre yard - $50 (around here 25 per acre on wide open seems normal) and it takes 29 minutes mowed and trimmed. (That is $100 per hr. which is quite satisfactory as far as I am concerned.
  8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Whats with the GAY YOUTH thing? Shouldn't we be teaching them that "GAY" is wrong?
  9. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

yep yer right 2 minutes or 2 hours $50.00 is $50.00
  10. chimmygew

chimmygew LawnSite Senior Member