How Should I Bill

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mowin4Dollas, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, but where I am there are a ton of lawn care/landscaping companies. I'm still discovering them all the time, companies that have been in operation for many years. There are some good sized ones that everyone has heard of, but they account for maybe 5% of the outfits here. I'm just saying that if I've never heard of many of them, chances are that customers haven't either.

Being responsive and acting in a professional manner goes a long way, even if you're new at this. I was in the business world before doing this and dealt with people far more "important" and wealthy than most of those I deal with now, so I come across pretty well. I used to bill out more in a year than I've billed out in the 11 years I've been doing this. Most of my clients were bankers, attorneys, investors and other successful businessmen. If you can walk the walk and talk the talk customers assume you're a legit professional and not some dirt bag with a pickup truck. A lot of it is just how you present yourself.

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I've been saying this for a long time, image is everything, talk, look, act like a professional at all times, it's to your benefit. Just when I think I've seen all the LCO's in the area a new one pops up so I know what you mean.

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Hiring accountants when you are starting out, only have 12 lawns, no commercial lawns, will eat up a large chunk of the profits.

Go big when you are big. Until then best to keep things simple and change as your business changes.

4. cpllawncare

I agree, I went from 10-12 to 40-50 last year alone, it was a huge jump, I felt it was time to get my act together. I put my collectons system in place two weeks ago, it has already yeilded one of the three non paying accounts I had last year.

5. cpllawncare

CC's are great IF you can get people to go that route.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I call shenanagans on anybody that says they have 100% acceptance of keeping a CC on file. Just doesn't happen with mowing customers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. cpllawncare

I'd have to agree!

8. All I want to know...where's Yardguy? He licks his chops for the billing topics.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cpllawncare

I'm really hoping to see 75+ accounts this year, I'm going to investigate the CC thing at least have it as an option.

10. Alex G

Alex G LawnSite Member

I am also 17. But i too went time of service but had some incidents with clients saying they paid when they missed a week or two making me lose $$$$. only happened once or twice but other than that my size of business roughly 15 neighborhood houses was the best way for me to go.