How should I charge for edging?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harperservices, Mar 4, 2002.

1. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

When cutting and trimming this year should I make edging a separate cost?

Last year I included it in the price because I did not have an edger, just used my trimmer and a spade shovel.

What do you think?

2. The price of edging is included in my mow price. The only exception is when I am dealing with overgrown conditions for a new customer. I will quote cleaning up the edging as a seperate cost the first time, same goes for overgrown turf.
  3. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I've always included it in with the price of the mowing and trimming, that way the customer gets a package deal, but sometimes a customer only wants edging, so I charge based on the linear footage to be done. I have a customer this year who only wants me to edge and trim her property, no mowing she will do her own mowing and she will be paying me $81.00 per month for 8 months for two visits a month. Crazy Yes , especially since It will only take me an hour per visit to do it, But once in a while I get customers like that.
  4. I include it in the price also.

If it's real bad I eat the cost if I can't get extra out of them.

I hope you ment for edging side walks and such. not beds, cause I saw shovel in your post.

Also we only edge concrete. No black top.
  5. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Yep its part of the job,if you tell them its $30 for the lawn and $10 for the trimming you know what a lot of folks are gonna say!.Several LCO's here advertise "Free" trimming but their prices are the same as everyone elses for the job!:eek:
  6. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I edge with the package but some want to save every penny so I will give them a price with and without it. even if it bad at first same price because after you have it under control you can edge every other time and get your money back.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i dont edge sidewalks etc weekly. i just have a price for mowing and trimming with the line trimmer, and then charge by time if they want their beds or sidewalks edged.
  8. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

I include it also. I provide a mid-level lawn maintenance program, and after the fast growth and edging weekly in Apr and May I can get away with edging and weed whacking every other week. Saves a lot of time.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always included edging in the price of mowing unless it hasn't been edged before and is overgrown. In that case I just price it seperately for the first time to get the edge where it should be and then include it in the regular price of mowing from the on.
  10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

It all depends on how you plan to bid your mowing services.

Will you be charging the same hourly rate for a ZTR/WB as you do for a stick edger or are they seperate rates???

Will you just add up how long each task will take and compile a figure based on XXX.XX number of dollars per hour???

The price that you give to a residential client IMHO should not reflect how long its going to take you to edge with a stick edger or line trimmer in addition to the routine trimming the job takes.

I like to break mine down for ME - not the clients, so that I will have a record of how long it takes so that when I bid a large site I know how long it takes to edge, trim, blow, mow, bag-mulch-disperse clippings, etc., etc., etc.