How should I compensate my foreman?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by PTP, Dec 8, 2008.

1. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I want a foreman who is reliable, competent, and will stick with me for a couple of years.

The job description is being the head of a 2 man crew. It involves mowing, edging, trimming, and blowing. Nothing else. He will be responsible to mow about 130 1/4 acre properties per week and will mow for about 34 weeks per year - perhaps a little more. Overall the work is difficult and repetitive.

How would you compensate for this? Would you use a salary, hourly wage, or pay for the winter months? How much would you pay? Any sort of a bonus system? What about health insurance?

I would really appreciate input from the guys who have done something similar.

2. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

$500 a week all year long. If that doesnt keep him then he aint worth it. If you want to offer bonus then cut it down to $450 and give him bonus that will equal $500 if he does a good J O B!!!!

3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Salary is tough in this business, as the hours never seem to be the same.We start around 6:45am and most of the guys don't get back until 6-10pm. This would be a nightmare on a salary schedule.

If you have set work hours, it may work for you though (ie. start at 7 and end at 3).

If you find a foreman you can trust, pay what you feel is fair, and something he is willing to accept. I usually give a 10% raise each year, 2-4 sick/vacation days for every year they've worked. Offer a Simple Interest IRA w/ 3% matching and health insurance after 2 years.

Too many employees come and go for us. I'm not willing to invest in someone until I know they are ready to invest in our future as a company.

Good luck

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You sound like a real gem of a boss. Tell me where do you find guys that will work from 7am-10pm and only make 16,000 per year. i'm going by what you posted in another thread, where you said payroll is 360,000 and that you had 22 employees. Man you need to keep your lies straight or at least read what you type.:laugh:

5. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

So if they mow 130 lawns per week X 34 weeks = 4420 lawns mowed.

$500 X 52 weeks per year = $26,000

$26,000 / 4420 lawns = $5.88 per lawn.

I was paying my helper $7 per lawn this year but admittedly that was a little over priced.

6. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

What a toolbag. The payroll numbers I posted for this year was not based on 22 employees. If you read my pictures thread, you would have noticed I am posting new numbers based on just completed and pending acquisitions.

You really don't know when to give up do you. Lets see some pics of your enterprise.

7. willretire@40

from VA

I pay my Driver $6 per yard and the helper $5 per yard. Driver averages $15 per hour and the helper $12.50.

8. willretire@40

from VA

For the 09' Season I am planning on working my guys hard 10-12 hrs a day 5 days a week cutting 150 lawns a week. Thats with a 2 man crew with a 36" stander and 21" toro in a long bed ford ranger.

Driver 150 x $6 = $900 a week x 30 weeks = $27,000
    Helper 150 x $5 = $750 a week x 30 weeks = $22,500

9. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting so low.......wow:canadaflag:

Never let your right hand know what your left hand is doing:nono:

10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

that was the same thread where you said you paid over 25k to unemployment.. the numbers match the lies dont lol