How should I fix this mess?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by James Eric, Sep 17, 2008.

1. James Eric

James Eric LawnSite Member

I have an 1/2 acre field and I'd like to replace it with lawn grass. This is what I have now? Should I till it, aerate and over seed this mess or what?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm in Maryland

2. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

kill it off(round up,sythe, etc.. wait 1 week) thatch it up and start fresh slit seed aerate and broadcast more seed, then cover with penn mulch start watering an din 3 weeks you will have a good lawn

3. dbsoccer

dbsoccer LawnSite Member

What do you mean "thatch it up"?

With a similar situation I have considered renting a sod cutter and removing the current lawn. It sounds like that is unnecessary.

Another question: My lawn boarders right next to my neighbor. If I use Round up, how do I keep from killing the edge of his when I spray mine. Clearly a calm day would be a good place to start.

4. ponyboy

from ny

use a thatcher, spray carefully,string out the proprety line and spray carefully

5. James Eric

James Eric LawnSite Member

Thanks for the fast replies. It was my understanding that I needed to wait three weeks if I use roundup. Can I do it in one week if I till it under? Also, I have two 48" garden tractors and a plug aerator.

6. ponyboy

from ny

i wait 1 week but you could so it sooner, i usually appky 2 apps of spray then wait some days till it all dead then i thatch it up slicer seed etc..

7. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

I live about 30 minutes from you,if you want some professional advice contact me.