1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how should i fix this ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doc_77, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

other then fireing the fert guy that did this to our lawn last year , what should i do to fix this ?

im thinking about just raking it all up and throwing down grass seed.
    i don't want to put down new sod if i don't have to. to much of a PIA.

any way ... any suggestions would be appreciated , thx :)

you can also see my competitions work in the back ground .
    that house behind ours had a near perfect lawn until these guys took it over last year.
    < all that damage was done with a 60" ZTR >

burn 2.JPG

burn 3.JPG
  2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you fire the fert guy? Your grass has never gone dormant over the winter before?

I would:
    1. Aerate
    2. Continue with a regular fert. program
    3. Water regularly
    4. Possibly sell you a grub prevenative

Maybe I'm missing something from the picture, but pretty much all the lawns around here have some brown in them from the long winter.

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't look like burn to me. It's either dormancy, disease or a grub problem.
  4. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

it's not dormant it's dead... it just picks right up .
    even if you gently pull it back a little there is no root's. it's like a layer of dead grass siting on top of some dirt.

our fert guy burned 3 large spots in our front yard over the summer that i had to repair also.
    i highly doubt he ever sprayed weed control on our lawn either
    this first time in 15 years of mowing this lawn have i seen more then a few weeds in it . parts of it are now over run with weed's.

< edit >
    we do have grubs in our yard. the raccoons love digging them up !! :angry:
    we did have it sprayed for grubs. didn't seem to do anything.
    i wish our old fert guy didn't retire. my lawn has looked like S*** since he did and we have never had these problems before :(

im not doubting what you 2 have said. i have just never seen it like this before.
  5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like an insect problem, not a fertilizer problem. Try hiring a professional lawn care company to do survey of the property to find out what happened.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

grubs or fungus. did you call him AS SOON AS you saw the problem start? what did he say/do about it? how long before it went from a tiny dead spot, to all those big dead spots? what time of year did it happen?
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

That ain't dormacy it's either Grub or Burn
  8. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

Probably because of just that..THERE ARE NO ROOTS...Grubs are eating them...take white vinegar to the outside edge of the dying off areas, pour it on the border between green and dead...see what comes to the surface...most grubs hate viegar and will surface right away..

9. Doc_77

Doc_77 LawnSite Member
    from IL

no we wont be calling him back. last year was his first year in business.
    our lawn went from perfect to looking like hell over 1 summer with this guy.
    he really didn't know what he was doing.

when it comes to fert / pesticides im not a pro !
    i just know more and more brown spots and patches of completely dead grass would show up a day or 2 after sprayed.

i noticed it about a week after this guy sprayed last fall , sometime in late October.
    the grass was done growing and i just figured it was dormant.
    i never looked closely at it until a few day's ago.

the dead / brown spots haven't gotten any bigger over the winter. they seem to be about the same size .

i guess i am going to call in the pro's on this one, but i wanted to thank every one for the advice :)

< edit >

i know for a fact we have grub's... i think i will try what you said ... im kinda interested in learning about fert and pesticide any way. maybe i can get this figured out on my own :)
  10. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

if you know you have grubs than thats more than likely it. Did you water the grub control in after he applied it. What did he apply and when?
    Most of those grub controls have to be watered in to work. That is your part. Post some more info on what was applied thru the season and when it was applied.